3070 only using 40%

cnnrsmith

I have a ryzen 9 5900x, an asus tuf x570 wifi, and an msi gaming trio x 3070, with the corsair hx1200 psu. My cpu and gpu usage never go above 40% and I upgraded my cpu, psu, and motherboard from a ryzen 7 2700x, a 700 watt random psu, and a msi b450 gaming max? But the upgrades didn't cause any significant boost in gaming performance, and I was wondering if maybe I just received a bad gpu this whole time? 

low gpu usage would not be because you have a bad gpu. If you had a bad gpu it would go to 100% usage and start thermal throttling (if it even worked at all in the first place). What games are you playing? Also what ram do you have? Theres probably some other bottle neck thats preventing you from getting some better performance. 

1 minute ago, Mayday793 said:

low gpu usage would not be because you have a bad gpu. If you had a bad gpu it would go to 100% usage and start thermal throttling (if it even worked at all in the first place). What games are you playing? Also what ram do you have? Theres probably some other bottle neck thats preventing you from getting some better performance. 

Tarkov, dead by daylight, rust, and cs go pretty much and the low cpu and gpu usage is constant. But yeah 32gb of dual channel ram at 3200mhz cl18 (could be cl16 not sure how big of a difference it makes) and Tarkov takes the most memory eating up like 16gb but I'll still have about 10gb free.

Go download furmark, it's a gpu stress tester. Run that and then look at your gpu usage. If you get 100% usage then that'll ease your mind it's not a hardware issue. 

IT sounds like you have a software issue with something limiting the amount of power usage. Possibly a power profile is doing this and you're in power saving mode?

3 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

Go download furmark, it's a gpu stress tester. Run that and then look at your gpu usage. If you get 100% usage then that'll ease your mind it's not a hardware issue. 

IT sounds like you have a software issue with something limiting the amount of power usage. Possibly a power profile is doing this and you're in power saving mode?

I ran the test and the score that I got is 11282 points (188 FPS, 60000 ms) with my gpu staying at around 93% usage. During the test the power limit had a 1 by it, I'm not sure if this means anything. Also my power plan is set to high performance and I can try more stuff when I get home tonight.

12 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

I played Rust and Tarkov with task manager and hwmonitor open and I was getting about 120 fps on rust and 100 fps on tarkov gpu usage never exceeded 40% and my power draw stayed around 70-120 watts on the 3070.

Sounds like you dont have a hardware problem at all. I would suggest looking into more power settings in software or maybe some other settings in game that might be limiting it. Possibly even like a razer game control app that "optimizes " game settings for you hardware might do something. 

1 hour ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Playing at 1024x768?

No 1920x1080

2 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

Sounds like you dont have a hardware problem at all. I would suggest looking into more power settings in software or maybe some other settings in game that might be limiting it. Possibly even like a razer game control app that "optimizes " game settings for you hardware might do something. 

Yeah I just scrolled through every program I have installed and none for optimizing stuff except msi afterburner. And it's strange because my computer performs fine in benchmarks but not in game. Thank you for all the help though let me know if you have any more ideas.

3 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

It's a 1440P card.

What would that matter for gpu usage staying low and power draw staying low with uncapped frames?

3 hours ago, cnnrsmith said:

What would that matter for gpu usage staying low and power draw staying low with uncapped frames?

Not all games are optimized enough to use all of your hardware, CSGO is laughable... 3070 at 1080P on CSGO LOL.

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

On 6/26/2022 at 7:10 AM, cnnrsmith said:

Tarkov, dead by daylight, rust, and cs go pretty much and the low cpu and gpu usage is constant. But yeah 32gb of dual channel ram at 3200mhz cl18 (could be cl16 not sure how big of a difference it makes) and Tarkov takes the most memory eating up like 16gb but I'll still have about 10gb free.

You don't mention FPS numbers, just usage of CPU and GPU which leads me to think you are alt tabbing to task manager?

CSGO on a HD 5870 at 1080p, this GPU is from 2009 and gets 150 FPS easy.

CSGO runs on a potato. It's never going to use all of a 3070 at 1080p.

7 hours ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Not all games are optimized enough to use all of your hardware, CSGO is laughable... 3070 at 1080P on CSGO LOL.

Yeah cs go runs fine.

7 hours ago, Unedited_Mind said:

You don't mention FPS numbers, just usage of CPU and GPU which leads me to think you are alt tabbing to task manager?

CSGO on a HD 5870 at 1080p, this GPU is from 2009 and gets 150 FPS easy.

CSGO runs on a potato. It's never going to use all of a 3070 at 1080p.

I loaded into the highest population rust server and got about 100 fps with the usage above. On Tarkov I tried Reserve which used less than 40% of cpu and gpu at 80-110 fps and I played labs which was like 200-300  fps based on location with gpu usage sometimes hitting 65% but hovering in the high 40s low 50s.

1 hour ago, cnnrsmith said:

I loaded into the highest population rust server and got about 100 fps with the usage above. On Tarkov I tried Reserve which used less than 40% of cpu and gpu at 80-110 fps and I played labs which was like 200-300  fps based on location with gpu usage sometimes hitting 65% but hovering in the high 40s low 50s.

Completely normal.