My gaming build

Oliver S.

This is what I've concluded is the best bang for the buck and the limited budget I have. Correct me if there is better hardware out there (for same price point) or if some of it is overkill. I play games such as BF3, the ArmA series and the regular new release. I don't need ultra settings, I don't run AA or Vsync.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: EVGA 660Ti FTW
Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Case fans: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition x3
PSU: Corsair GS700 700W
Monitor: BenQ XL2411T
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013

Hedaset: Logitech G430

I'd wait a few weeks for Haswell.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

I am not going to get the Haswell. I really see no reason to wait for it. I think i5 3570k is just fine.

Hey guys and welcome to my build log!

Over the last few days I've been looking for the hardware I want to be in my build:

• CPU: i5 3750k

• COLR: ZALMAN CNPS 12X

• MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3

• RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8 GB @ 1600 MHz

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200 RPM

GPU: MSI 660Ti Power edition @ 1019 MHz

• CASE: Fractal Design Define R4

• PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX650 V2

• MNTR: BenQ XL2420T @ 120 Hz (would love a cheaper solution, yet still 120 Hz and 1920x1080 res)

• SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB

I would love suggestions for cheaper solutions (yet still gives a good bang for the buck) and also opinions on this build.

Thank you.

Regards,

Oliver

Good setup. You might want to consider this SSD as well, I've purchased 3 from the series and I love them.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=77210&vpn=MZ-7TD120BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1304

I am not going to get the Haswell. I really see no reason to wait for it. I think i5 3570k is just fine.

Wise decision, it'll only be an incremental performance increase.

Good setup. You might want to consider this SSD as well, I've purchased 3 from the series and I love them.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=77210&vpn=MZ-7TD120BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1304

That SSD looks really sweet and would seem like a better choice than my current, so I'll change it up. Thank you!

Nicely rounded build. The cooler seems like a dodgy middle ground to me though. I'd consider spending around $10 more on a Noctua NH-D14. You might also find some similarly priced thick 120mm AIO liquid coolers around that price too. I would also take a look at the Samsung 840, or the M4's successor, the M500. If you get one at a good price, the M4 is still a very good SSD however.

You were a noob once too!

Nicely rounded build. The cooler seems like a dodgy middle ground to me though. I'd consider spending around $10 more on a Noctua NH-D14. You might also find some similarly priced thick 120mm AIO liquid coolers around that price too. I would also take a look at the Samsung 840, or the M4's successor, the M500. If you get one at a good price, the M4 is still a very good SSD however.

Thank you. Not that I was speculating on my current cooler, I thought it looked pretty neat, but the Noctua NH-D14 actually seems like a better choice. Changed it on the spec list.

Thank you. Not that I was speculating on my current cooler, I thought it looked pretty neat, but the Noctua NH-D14 actually seems like a better choice. Changed it on the spec list.

Awesome, I can highly recommend it by the way. How about these DIMMs to match a red and black color scheme?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Can't have incremental without MENTAL ;)  

Well then again the RAM would be the only red in the system then. I'll think about it, not really sure if it would look nice. Right now I have a black theme.

The NH-D14 is as well. I just think it would look a little odd to have an almost completely black build with Noctua fans in the center.

The NH-D14 is as well. I just think it would look a little odd to have an almost completely black build with Noctua fans in the center.

The Noctua looks brown-ish... The RAM is a really bright red.

The Noctua looks brown-ish... The RAM is a really bright red.

My avatar shows my build with the PCI-E slots identical to the RAM's heatspreaders with a Noctua NF-A14 in the rear and 2 Noctua NF-F12's at the top, just to give you an idea of what to expect.

Haswell IS worth it to wait, the raw IPC is only going to be around 10% but there is ALOT of new tech coming with haswell. One of which being VRM being built into the CPU silicon, which would help you being able to OC better than that specific board you have now because I'm pretty sure it is lacking VRM on it. If you want a Ivy gen cpu there is nothing wrong with them, I personally have a 3570k and love it but I would really really really recommend the asrock extreme3/4 or msi z77a g45 gaming series boards.

Haswell IS worth it to wait, the raw IPC is only going to be around 10% but there is ALOT of new tech coming with haswell. One of which being VRM being built into the CPU silicon, which would help you being able to OC better than that specific board you have now because I'm pretty sure it is lacking VRM on it. If you want a Ivy gen cpu there is nothing wrong with them, I personally have a 3570k and love it but I would really really really recommend the asrock extreme3/4 or msi z77a g45 gaming series boards.

As I already said, I will not get the Haswell. Neither am I going to change my motherboard, I think the one I have now is perfectly fine as it also supports 7.1 surround sound.

My avatar shows my build with the PCI-E slots identical to the RAM's heatspreaders with a Noctua NF-A14 in the rear and 2 Noctua NF-F12's at the top, just to give you an idea of what to expect.

I see what you mean now. Changing the RAM up then.

I have the S23A700D and it was $300 CAD. I highly recommend it, it'll save you around $90.

Also, have you considered getting a mouse, keyboard, or anything else?

Yes I have, didn't find it necessary to add to the spec list, but I'll do it now.

If you are getting the roccat mouse, get the keyboard too so that you can use roccat talk

I'm glad you think 7.1 audio is the important part of a motherboard. Hope you don't mind a unstable overclock.

I'm glad you think 7.1 audio is the important part of a motherboard. Hope you don't mind a unstable overclock.

Not gonna overclock my motherboard anyways.

If you are getting the roccat mouse, get the keyboard too so that you can use roccat talk

I am an absolute fan of the blackwidow and the look of it, I might not even get the mouse actually. Already got a Razer Deathadder

Hey guys and welcome to my build log!

Over the last few days I've been looking for the hardware I want to be in my build:

• CPU: i5 3570k

• COLR: Noctua NH-D14

• MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3

• RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200 RPM

GPU: MSI 660Ti Power edition @ 1019 MHz

• CASE: Fractal Design Define R4

• PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX650 V2

• MNTR: BenQ XL2420T @ 120 Hz (would love a cheaper solution, yet still 120 Hz and 1920x1080 res)

• SSD: Samsung 840 MZ-7TD120 120 GB

I would love suggestions for cheaper solutions (yet still gives a good bang for the buck) and also opinions on this build.

Thank you.

Regards,

Oliver

In terms of specs. Well done! you have done your research. :))  

here are a few Suggestions:

1) Wait for Haswell chips and boards.

2) Wait for 700 series

3) If your budget allows you, Go pro and 256 you on SSD.

4) unless you are planning to SLI those 660ti's a 500 watt Psu is enough with room to OC 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D