Help with dual boot.

Akash Rai

I am setting up dual boot on my system with windows 10 in one partition and linux mint in the another one.

The problem is that I want to set up a common partition that will be shared between windows and linux both. Is there a way to do so?

I think any FAT32 partition can be shared... Unfortunately now most Windows partitions are NTFS

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I think any FAT32 partition can be shared... Unfortunately now most Windows partitions are NTFS

you're right, most windows partitions nowadays are NTFS, which typically cannot be shared

OP, I recommend you make 2 additional partitions:

- one for common usage between linux and windows in FAT32

- and one for you to install linux on 

My legendary budget setup:

• Audio: LG Type-C Earphones
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 840M + Intel IGPU
  • RAM: 8Gb Hynix 1600MHz RAM DDR3
  • HDD: 1TB 5400RPM 2.5"
  • Keyboard: HP KU0316
  • And yes, its the HP Pavilion 15-p220na

linux can deal with ntfs fine enough these days, all the dualboot systems i've had have always been with the windows partition mapped in linux.

I watched some tutorials and all of them suggested to use FAT32 partitions. If I use an NTFS will it be still shareable or it will become a windows only partition?

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

linux can deal with ntfs fine enough these days, all the dualboot systems i've had have always been with the windows partition mapped in linux.

18 hours ago, ramjithunder24 said:

you're right, most windows partitions nowadays are NTFS, which typically cannot be shared

OP, I recommend you make 2 additional partitions:

- one for common usage between linux and windows in FAT32

- and one for you to install linux on 

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

18 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I watched some tutorials and all of them suggested to use FAT32 partitions. If I use NTFS will it be still shareable across both the OS or it will become a windows only partition?

On 5/20/2022 at 5:29 PM, Akash Rai said:

I am setting up dual boot on my system with windows 10 in one partition and linux mint in the another one.

The problem is that I want to set up a common partition that will be shared between windows and linux both. Is there a way to do so?

Home directory sharing is usually implemented between two linux distributions. The guide below uses the ntfs-3g package for ntfs detection under Linux and the fstab file for automatic mounting of the Windows partition during linux boot.

https://thenciee.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/sharing-a-home-directory-between-windows-and-linux/

Then you can configure Windows with this tutorial.

https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

a workaround would be to set up a SMB share  on any distro where you map/mount diserd volume on borh but make sure its made in FAT32 or NTfS as linux can read windows but not the outher way around

set up a "share  volume" on your windows machine a nd then just mapp it on linux and it should work just fine

9 hours ago, osseng said:

a workaround would be to set up a SMB share  on any distro where you map/mount diserd volume on borh but make sure its made in FAT32 or NTfS as linux can read windows but not the outher way around

set up a "share  volume" on your windows machine a nd then just mapp it on linux and it should work just fine

19 hours ago, FUIT1985 said:

Home directory sharing is usually implemented between two linux distributions. The guide below uses the ntfs-3g package for ntfs detection under Linux and the fstab file for automatic mounting of the Windows partition during linux boot.

https://thenciee.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/sharing-a-home-directory-between-windows-and-linux/

Then you can configure Windows with this tutorial.

https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

If I follow the steps can you tell me an error in it?

1. Format the complete Hard disk
  2. install windows 10 then shrink it's volume to create one more partition for Installing LInux
  3. Install Linux in it but in the setup wizard create two partitions one would contain Swap, Home and Root (Can you please tell me the file system for it?) and the other one would be an NTFS partition
  4. Let the setup finish and then reboot my system.

will the NTFS partition be automatically read by windows on reboot? also I read some articles on NTFS-3g and FUSE on linux not sure what they are but I got an appproximate of what it does is that mount NTFS partitions as read and write on LInux.

29 minutes ago, Akash Rai said:

install windows 10 then shrink it's volume to create one more partition for Installing LInux

No, create the windows partition with windows installer. Leave the remaining space unallocated

stall Linux in it but in the setup wizard create two partitions one would contain Swap, Home and Root (Can you please tell me the file system for it?) and the other one would be an NTFS partition

Let the linux installer create the required partitions. Whatever is left over you can format as NTFS after the linux install. You can do this in windows or linux does not matter

will the NTFS partition be automatically read by windows on reboot?

Yes.

35 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

No, create the windows partition with windows installer. Leave the remaining space unallocated

So I just have to shrink volume of the C:/ Partition of windows and leave it unallocated and then after installing linux I'll be making partitions in linux