Can I use 2 sets of memory with different speed together?

I'm currently running an i5 8500 with 2*8G 3000 memory sticks.

I'm considering upgrading to i7 12700K, and I'm a little bit confused what should I do with my old memory sticks.

I could get 2 new sticks (something 8G 3600 CL16, best I can afford), and mix them together so I get a 32G PC. Although I mainly use my PC for gaming, sometimes I also do some solidworks,  sketch up stuffs, just for fun. So I suppose bigger RAM do help?

My major concern is will it actually be a draw back having 2 slower RAM in the system? Maybe I should sold them for better gaming performance?

Or maybe I should just stick with my current memory sticks? I don't know how much of the difference it makes, 2~3 fps or 1x~2x?

It won't make much fps difference, I would just keep it.

If you run 2 different ram speeds together, it will choose the slowest speed that both kits support, in your case hopefully 3000mhz CL15.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

If you run both you'll have to use slower clock and higher latency

In gaming having 32GB won't help much, and you'll gain some perf by just using the 16GB of 3600 RAM and gain some cash by selling the other sticks 🙂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

YES you can, but you need to make sure to set the clockspeed correctly in the bios. so they run at the exact same speed.

Underclocking Ram poses almost no risk at all, but overclocking a 3000mhz module to 3600mhz can kill it

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝