M.2 heatsink

Zapp3012

I bought a second M.2 to use as storage for games. A WD Green 2Tb.

I'd like to use the cooler that came with my Gigabyte motherboard. The cooler has a peel off sticky back.

Should I remove the factory sticker for the SSD so that the Gigabyte one makes direct contact with the SSD?

5 minutes ago, MrBee420 said:

If you remove it the warranty would void

Ah, good point. But then if I just stick the cooler over it, the sticker will get ruined anyway. Hmm, maybe I won't bother.

Some of those stickers are actually a thicker thermal material meant to transfer, conduct heat anyways, rather than just a sticker. I've peeled some that are actually feel like layer of metal (they hold shape if you bend them). So the general consensus is leave them they aren't hurting anything and may help keep temperatures more even across the disk. 

That being said, I don't care about warranties. I peel them and place the new heat sinks down. Always have.

You heat sink shouldn't harm the exsisting sticker. Those pads aren't really adhesive. Worse case it should only leave some oily marks on it maybe. That's worst I've seen.

You can safely put the heatsink on top of the stickers.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks for the replies, but problem solved. It arrived and looks nothing like the photo on Amazon.

Online it shows a full cover sticker, but when I opened the box is was more like that blue one. So, my heatsink wont even touch the sticker.

1045992-1286702-800.jpg

ssd-wd-blue-sn550-nvme-m2-2tb-pci-express-30-3d-nand-leitura-2600mbs-e-gravacao-1800mbs-wds200t2b0c_128325.webp