Punch Keystone Jack issues

Ertman
Go to solution Solved by OddOod,
18 hours ago, Ertman said:

other keystone options

One bad jack in a pack is maybe possible, multiples though? Unlikely. And I assume the jack appears fine when you replace it.

rerunning the cable might be worthwhile

It might solve the problem and as long as it's not a PITA, can't hurt. On the other hand if it's gonna involve drywall and paint, then don't bother, the marginal effort of just replacing the jack every couple years means that as long as you don't run out of slack you will likely age out of the house before the problem becomes dire

Summary:

- Ongoing issues with keystone jack connection requiring periodic replacement. Looking for any tips and tricks.

- other connections using parts of the same make and model have had no problems.

I had just experienced random connection issues on a network line I had run a couple years ago.

I am on my 3rd keystone connector for this run. The think is the line is never connected/disconnected but after running fine for a couple of years the keystone jack started having random connection issues.

it was harder to track down as It would actually allow me to watch video via streaming or my plex library, but would experience other browsing issues. The most strange one would be that I could watch a YouTube video and the buffer indicator would progress but I couldn’t access the comment section. I could even start new videos.

After some investigation I could determine that it was the connection at the wall and eventually through testing the connection failed outright and would not work again. I replaced the connector and and it’s working again.

The reason for posting is that this is the third connector in 5 years and I am unsure what is happening and I would like to stop having to do this every so often.

Is it possible to just pull new wire for the run? Could be faulty cat5.
How long is the run?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

5 hours ago, OddOod said:

Is it possible to just pull new wire for the run? Could be faulty cat5.
How long is the run?

The runs approx 30 feet. It’s a Cat6 cable. I have another longer run in the house and it’s been problem free the whole time.

I think a cable had been inserted into the jack less than 4 times.

I literally trimmed the exposed wires plus 1/4 inch off the end, stripped the wire and put it in a new punch down and it works with zero issues. However I did the same thing a couple years ago and a couple years before that. It’s weird.

I had been considering running a new bit of cable, but the problem doesn’t rear it’s head for sometime. I just don’t get how putting a new keystone fixes the issue if there is something wrong with the cable.

9 minutes ago, Ertman said:

The runs approx 30 feet. It’s a Cat6 cable. I have another longer run in the house and it’s been problem free the whole time.

Any sharp bends in the wire or exposed segments?

What type of ethernet cable is it? CCA or solid copper? What brand?

Can you post a pic of what the final punch down looks like?

If you have a small defect in the cable it can cause this problem. Connection issues are cumulative and you might be getting humidity or some other environmental condition degrading the keystone. We're throwing spaghetts at the wall here, what were you looking for?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 3/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, OddOod said:

If you have a small defect in the cable it can cause this problem. Connection issues are cumulative and you might be getting humidity or some other environmental condition degrading the keystone. We're throwing spaghetts at the wall here, what were you looking for?

Like I said earlier in the thread, any tips and tricks is appreciated. honestly am trying to just figure out ongoing issues that take awhile to pop up. Your point about the degrading keystone is interesting. A rj11 keystone above it is fine though.

based on some of the feedback possibly rerunning the cable might be worthwhile. Maybe I might look into other keystone options too.

other keystone options

One bad jack in a pack is maybe possible, multiples though? Unlikely. And I assume the jack appears fine when you replace it.

rerunning the cable might be worthwhile

It might solve the problem and as long as it's not a PITA, can't hurt. On the other hand if it's gonna involve drywall and paint, then don't bother, the marginal effort of just replacing the jack every couple years means that as long as you don't run out of slack you will likely age out of the house before the problem becomes dire

On 3/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Any sharp bends in the wire or exposed segments?

What type of ethernet cable is it? CCA or solid copper? What brand?

Can you post a pic of what the final punch down looks like?

Bends that are particularly sharp
Cat6

Solid Copper

Monoprice

20 hours ago, OddOod said:

It fairly accessible.but obviously running new cable is a bit of a pain none the less. 

thank you all for your help.

76FB9750-D2B6-4235-9565-D84627BE4DD5.jpeg

32E7749E-FEEF-4C14-8EF6-D9D4B6FBB72B.jpeg

90CE4FB3-1CA3-4821-9CC8-5E75343C6C3D.jpeg

F01BC997-0590-4F0E-96F6-16EF68783D20.jpeg