remote desktop type application that does borderless windowed.

i've been using HP RGS / Zcentral Remote Boost (holy fuck that naming is horrid) for the past few years, in the "re-register for a free trial every 2 months" winRAR licensing system.

but unfortunately today my latest trial ran out, and HP has appareantly canned the free trials all together.

so.. i'm now searching for a replacement application that'll fit my needs:

- needs to be OFFLINE local network only. no accounts, preferably no calling home either. if my internet conks out, i still need to be able to connect.

- better video quality than RDP if possible. i dont mind it pulling a constant 50Mbps as long as it can show animated content looking crisp and sharp.

- needs to be able to deal with a REALLY weird display resolution on the remote box.

- needs to be able to run borderless windowed. basicly it's going to seamlessly integrate the box's desktop into my desktop.

beyond that.. simplicity is key. it's what i liked most about HP's solution, it's just connect, log in with windows credentials, and you're set up.

there's a BUNCH of remote applications out there, and i really cant deal with testing all of them.. so i'm mostly looking for suggestions on which are worth testing out, given the requirements.

stuff i've tried, and dislike:

- plain old windows RDP: it's far too careful with bandwidth, and as a result things look fuzzy too often.

- TeamViewer: while local connection can be used.. it's honestly much too much fuss to bother, and no borderless windowed.

- VNC: image quality is just a number, apparently.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i've been using HP RGS / Zcentral Remote Boost (holy fuck that naming is horrid) for the past few years, in the "re-register for a free trial every 2 months" winRAR licensing system.

but unfortunately today my latest trial ran out, and HP has appareantly canned the free trials all together.

so.. i'm now searching for a replacement application that'll fit my needs:

- needs to be OFFLINE local network only. no accounts, preferably no calling home either. if my internet conks out, i still need to be able to connect.

- better video quality than RDP if possible. i dont mind it pulling a constant 50Mbps as long as it can show animated content looking crisp and sharp.

- needs to be able to deal with a REALLY weird display resolution on the remote box.

- needs to be able to run borderless windowed. basicly it's going to seamlessly integrate the box's desktop into my desktop.

beyond that.. simplicity is key. it's what i liked most about HP's solution, it's just connect, log in with windows credentials, and you're set up.

there's a BUNCH of remote applications out there, and i really cant deal with testing all of them.. so i'm mostly looking for suggestions on which are worth testing out, given the requirements.

stuff i've tried, and dislike:

- plain old windows RDP: it's far too careful with bandwidth, and as a result things look fuzzy too often.

- TeamViewer: while local connection can be used.. it's honestly much too much fuss to bother, and no borderless windowed.

- VNC: image quality is just a number, apparently.

Maybe try SPICE https://www.spice-space.org/download.html

I haven't tried installing this but seeing the implementation in quickemu it does seem like that it's really great

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post