Gmail Spam

Adam_Cr1

Hi guys.

A friend is having issues with Gmail. They are getting lots of spam from people who do send legitimate emails because their accounts have been compromised.

The default spam filter on Gmail is normally pretty good but it just isn't cutting it for this and blocking the email addresses is not a viable solution.

What is the best way of filtering spam content? If they click on the report spam button, is there a possibility that legitimate emails won't get through?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k  GPU: Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC

go to gmail settings -> Filters -> add filter

But I think that's just for searching..

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

go to gmail settings -> Filters -> add filter

What would I add to the filter though that blocks spam and not the legitimate emails?

What would I add to the filter though that blocks spam and not the legitimate emails?

Not too sure since I haven't really had to use it.

if the spam is from a lot of weird companies, there might be a link at the bottom of the email that says 'unsubscribe' 

As for completely blocking emails from a particular email, i'm not too sure... all you can do is report as spam. But that doesn't always work.

If it's a contact who is sending weird emails, but they also send real emails, then maybe you can use that filter to filter out a key word that the fake emails use.

But other than that there's not much you can do I don't think

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Not too sure since I haven't really had to use it.

if the spam is from a lot of weird companies, there might be a link at the bottom of the email that says 'unsubscribe' 

As for completely blocking emails from a particular email, i'm not too sure... all you can do is report as spam. But that doesn't always work.

If it's a contact who is sending weird emails, but they also send real emails, then maybe you can use that filter to filter out a key word that the fake emails use.

But other than that there's not much you can do I don't think

I thought that might be the case.

The spam is from contacts in his address book that have had their email accounts accessed to send spam.

I'll leave the thread open just in case anyone can come up with any other suggestions.

I thought that might be the case.

The spam is from contacts in his address book that have had their email accounts accessed to send spam.

I'll leave the thread open just in case anyone can come up with any other suggestions.

Yeah, a while ago I found out that my hotmail account was sending weird spam to my friends. (this is in the msn days)

So I deleted all my contacts and it fixed the problem.

So in theory, you could ask the people who are unknowingly sending him spam to delete him out of their contacts list.

Yeah, a while ago I found out that my hotmail account was sending weird spam to my friends. (this is in the msn days)

So I deleted all my contacts and it fixed the problem.

So in theory, you could ask the people who are unknowingly sending him spam to delete him out of their contacts list.

That would work but lots of email providers automatically add contacts based on who emails them so that would only be a temporary solution.

That would work but lots of email providers automatically add contacts based on who emails them so that would only be a temporary solution.

Ah, true.

Well, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else might have a solution.