Second Random Restart without BIOS Seeing M.2

YoungBlade

Months ago, I don't remember when, I woke up to find that my computer had randomly restarted in the middle of the night, but it was sitting at the BIOS menu. When I looked, the M.2 NVMe boot drive was not visible. The other drives were fine. I restarted and then it worked fine. I thought it was kinda weird, but as it was a one-off, I thought nothing of it.

It has now happened again. This time, a reboot did not fix the issue. Again, the other 3 drives were detected by the BIOS - they just aren't boot drives.

I removed the M.2 drive, put it in my old computer, and confirmed that it was fine. SMART data said it was 100% good, and I was able to run Crystal Disk Mark on it without issue. Everything was working as expected. When I put it back in my computer again, it works fine, as if nothing happened.

Looking at Event Viewer, I do notice a WHEA-Logger event, but it occurred over 19 hours before the shutdown. After that, the next error is from when I turned the computer back on, saying "The previous system shutdown at 10:38:45 PM on ‎2/‎6/‎2022 was unexpected." The final events for 2/6/2022 are related to Windows updating the system time at 7:19:07 PM. At around 3PM, there was a successful installation of the update "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.357.209.0)," so the M.2 drive was definitely working at that point if Windows was able to run an update.

I don't think we lost power last night, and even if we did and it only impacted this one computer, it doesn't explain why the computer couldn't reboot into Windows successfully.

Here are the system specs:

Boot Drive: 1TB WD SN750 NVMe - Installed in the top M.2 slot with heat shield

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Version 21H2

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with PBO Curve Optimizer Undervolt

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi

RAM: 48GB TeamGroup Vulcan Z DDR4-3000 16-18-18-38 2x8GB+2x16GB OCed to 3200

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC RTX 2060 Super

PSU: Enermax Revolution D.F. 750W 80+ Gold

Storage Drives: 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe (bottom slot), 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD, and 1TB TeamGroup CX2 SATA SSD

Expansion Cards: Tiergrade 5+2 USB 3.0 PCIe 3.0 x1 card - in the bottom slot

Any thoughts? When it was a one-off, I wasn't concerned, but now that it's happened twice, I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong either with my drive or the motherboard.