Streamer for better Android TV

AmirB

Hi guys, 

I have a smart MI 65" TV with built in Android tv. 

The problem is that the UI feels super slow and laggy. I guess the processor on the TV isn't that good. 

I'm considering buying a streamer with android tv just for the sake of better performance (the use is mainly streaming video content, but I do need the full Android TV). 

Two options I can think of are MI box S which is cheap and the Nvidia shield which is pretty expensive and maybe an overkill for just video content and to get a snappy UI. 

what do you think? Other suggestions? 

I've put Chromecast with Google TV's on all my TV's. Google TV is the slow rebrand and replacement of the ancient at this point Android TV. $50, has a remote and supports all the apps the old Android TV devices did. The UI isn't incredibly snappy but its plenty fine IMO. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/chromecast-with-google-tv-review-a-worthy-rival-to-the-best-from-roku-and-amazon-fire-tv/

24 minutes ago, AmirB said:

Hi guys, 

I have a smart MI 65" TV with built in Android tv. 

The problem is that the UI feels super slow and laggy. I guess the processor on the TV isn't that good. 

I'm considering buying a streamer with android tv just for the sake of better performance (the use is mainly streaming video content, but I do need the full Android TV). 

Two options I can think of are MI box S which is cheap and the Nvidia shield which is pretty expensive and maybe an overkill for just video content and to get a snappy UI. 

what do you think? Other suggestions? 

I was thinking about buying that TV actually. Did you update the Android TV version on it? I can also see you are from india (just like me) Why don't you also check out the realme TV stick?

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

22 hours ago, rickeo said:

I've put Chromecast with Google TV's on all my TV's. Google TV is the slow rebrand and replacement of the ancient at this point Android TV. $50, has a remote and supports all the apps the old Android TV devices did. The UI isn't incredibly snappy but its plenty fine IMO. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/chromecast-with-google-tv-review-a-worthy-rival-to-the-best-from-roku-and-amazon-fire-tv/

It's not a rebrand as such — Google TV is more of a layer on top of Android TV that provides a more centralized experience. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Google eventually did rebrand Android TV outright, but for now Android TV and Google TV aren't the same thing.

To be clear: the Chromecast with Google TV is a good pick, at least if you don't need anything particularly exotic. It'll play 4K HDR video and otherwise cover the bases more elegantly than your Xiaomi set.