External hard drive question

HesCalledTheStig

I grabbed a 2tb Seagate external hard drive (not SSD) to use for file storage with my laptop that I carry for work everyday. Will carrying this in a pocket in my backpack cause any damage to it?  I know hard drives shouldn’t be shaken but I need the storage on the go and can’t afford a large portable SSD at the moment. 

In the DOS days, you needed to "park" your drive.

These days, it's automatic when you power it off. It'll be fine so long as you aren't violently shaking it

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

These days, it's automatic when you power it off. It'll be fine so long as you aren't violently shaking it

No violent shaking other than the car rides and carrying the bag at work. Just paranoid about losing important data. I looked into a couple portable dad’s but for the file sizes I work with, what I could afford just wouldn’t cut it. 

7 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

No violent shaking other than the car rides and carrying the bag at work. Just paranoid about losing important data. I looked into a couple portable dad’s but for the file sizes I work with, what I could afford just wouldn’t cut it. 

You should be fine, all the same, you know the first rule of data.

If it's important, have a backup.

If it's critical, have two.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You should be fine, all the same, you know the first rule of data.

If it's important, have a backup.

If it's critical, have two.

Right. Thankfully, everything is backed up at work and home servers. This is just a go between drive. 

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

Right. Thankfully, everything is backed up at work and home servers. This is just a go between drive. 

Things backed up, then you are good to go. I sometimes carry a 2.5" external HDD in my backpack and on occasion when I've forgotten its in there, been less than gentle with the 'pack, and the drive is fine.

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not only this, but changing a drives orientation after it was low level formatted could cause problems.