Help! Upgrade Path Woes...

Go to solution Solved by Founders,
9 minutes ago, Spainz said:

i7-11700k (an upgrade from my i7-10700k)

Quite honestly I wouldn't bother if you're planning to keep your current board. The only true advantage 11th Gen has over 10th is PCIE 4.0. If you're not able to use it then there's no point so stick with what you've go. 

11 minutes ago, Spainz said:

differences of getting a pcie4 GPU and running it on pcie3 (which I believe is what my board is), and I don't recall him finding any lost performance past perhaps 5% or within margins of error.

Overall the performance penalty is negligible, usually between 3-5% IIRC. 

12 minutes ago, Spainz said:

Will I be able to buy a 30series GPU and slot it into my current Motherboard.

Absolutely!

16 minutes ago, Spainz said:

I currently I have a pretty solid PSU, might I need to upgrade

No, you have an A tier 850W PSU, there are plenty of people out there running 3070/3080's on solid 850w PSU's w/o any issues. I believe there were report of 3080's experiencing sharp power spikes under load causing issues but Nvidia resolved that through driver updates.   

Hello everyone! I'll post the PC parts list here...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D2Dj4s

CONTEXT: I mainly use my tower as a gaming central focus, I live in North America.

First: I'm considering buying the i7-11700k (an upgrade from my i7-10700k) and slotting it into the motherboard I currently have. I triple checked the Motherboard info, it claims compatibility with the i7-11700k with a bios update. Given my CPU cooler I believe it should be able to handle an i7-11700k just fine, and I'm confident it could handle the CPU overlocked.

SO THEN... Question: If I slot in the i7-11700k into my current board, will I be able to overclock it or be forced to run the processor at it's base speeds, this I don't know. I need someone more tech savvy then me to comb through the BIOS or board info on the MSI website for the product and let me know. lol. And if I slot in the CPU... will I still be able to overclock the ram to the current XMP of 3600mhz cl16? Or will LIKELY lose the overclock on the ram?

Second: I'm also considering eventually upgrading to a 3070 or 3080 when the priced eventually drop ( I plan for this to be an upgrade into the future, thing anytime soon obviously). I watched a Gamers Nexus video where he explored the original 30-series release (after 20-series) performance differences of getting a pcie4 GPU and running it on pcie3 (which I believe is what my board is), and I don't recall him finding any lost performance past perhaps 5% or within margins of error. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't checked yet to see if the motherboard is compatible with the Gpu, perhaps someone can check that for me. 

SO THEN... Will I be able to buy a 30series GPU and slot it into my current Motherboard. If I can, will I see a loss in the card's otherwise normal performance, and if so is it meaningful loss in performance? And will I need some sort of pcie3 to pie 4 adapter things do-dad?

Third: I currently I have a pretty solid PSU, might I need to upgrade it given the desired upgrade path above? Context: Currently, with my CPU overlocked to 4.9GHZ ( I believe all core?) (I ran speed optimizer on Intel XTU and that's what it ran at stably)... with my GPU auto overclocked using MSI Afterburner (forget off the top my head what it is), and with my ram overclocked to it's specified XMP, I hardly ever go above 400watts total system demand according to my UPS. So I believe I should be fin, obviously I've been told to buy a 1000watt PSU for the upgrades but I have my skepticism.

SO THEN... I should be fine with my current PSU, correct?

Thank you for any help you lend me in my clueless endeavor! You are appreciated!

9 minutes ago, Spainz said:

i7-11700k (an upgrade from my i7-10700k)

Quite honestly I wouldn't bother if you're planning to keep your current board. The only true advantage 11th Gen has over 10th is PCIE 4.0. If you're not able to use it then there's no point so stick with what you've go. 

11 minutes ago, Spainz said:

differences of getting a pcie4 GPU and running it on pcie3 (which I believe is what my board is), and I don't recall him finding any lost performance past perhaps 5% or within margins of error.

Overall the performance penalty is negligible, usually between 3-5% IIRC. 

12 minutes ago, Spainz said:

Will I be able to buy a 30series GPU and slot it into my current Motherboard.

Absolutely!

16 minutes ago, Spainz said:

I currently I have a pretty solid PSU, might I need to upgrade

No, you have an A tier 850W PSU, there are plenty of people out there running 3070/3080's on solid 850w PSU's w/o any issues. I believe there were report of 3080's experiencing sharp power spikes under load causing issues but Nvidia resolved that through driver updates.   

Just stick with your current PC and keep gaming. I don't think there is anything in the market that's worth upgrading for you right now.

I'd wait for rtx 40 or 50 series before upgrading, but that would depend on the performance of these cards.

For CPU, I would upgrade maybe around 14th gen. Again depends on what the performance is like. There is no real appreciable difference between 10th and 11th gen intel.