Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Safety when testing PSU?

ArcticApe

Hello!

I have a mini-itx system I want to test out, but before buying an expensive pico-PSU for it I want to test it using an old "regular" PSU (for desktop gaming machines). Is it safe to just plonk it on a table, plug it in and fire away or should I do something special to ensure safety, for myself, the PSU, the mini-itx and any fire safety. Thanks!

Even the worst PSUs aren't going to just explode as soon as you turn them on. The issues come with long term usage in unsuitable configurations. 

Just don't put the board on a metal table or anything and you'll be fine for testing purposes. 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Even the worst PSUs aren't going to just explode as soon as you turn them on. The issues come with long term usage in unsuitable configurations. 

Just don't put the board on a metal table or anything and you'll be fine for testing purposes. 

the ITX is fastened to a metal board with regular standoffs, will that be fine? I assume so but rather safe than sorry 🙂

10 hours ago, ArcticApe said:

the ITX is fastened to a metal board with regular standoffs, will that be fine? I assume so but rather safe than sorry 🙂

Absolutely fine. Those standoffs are all screwed to a steel or aluminum PC case.