Upgrading Windows 11 PC

Hi,

Bit of a strange question maybe. I have Windows 11 installed currently and am going to be swapping in a new motherboard. I have currently enabled TPM 2.0 on my system in order to run windows 11, and am wondering when installing everything onto the new motherboard I should boot into BIOS without my storage drives connected, enable TPM 2.0 on the new board, and then plug in my storage drives? Or would it be okay to have everything connected and then boot up? Or is it possible that TPM will remain enabled and I'm just paranoid about bricking my storage and system?

Thanks.

Tpm doesn’t do anything to your drives?

if you have a pc with tpm on you can put them in any other pc and they’ll work.

you might have issues with windows if you have bitlocker enabled, but unless you use w11pro you’ll be fine, bitlockers not a feature on w11 home

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I would just swap the components to the new motherboard and do a clean install if you can, but don't worry about bricking anything.

Worst case scenario will be that some drivers are funky for a few minutes.

5 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Tpm doesn’t do anything to your drives?

if you have a pc with tpm on you can put them in any other pc and they’ll work.

you might have issues with windows if you have bitlocker enabled, but unless you use w11pro you’ll be fine, bitlockers not a feature on w11 home

5 hours ago, LanderAxier said:

I would just swap the components to the new motherboard and do a clean install if you can, but don't worry about bricking anything.

Worst case scenario will be that some drivers are funky for a few minutes.

So does TPM stay enabled on the CPU then? I'm just worried about windows not launching properly and then the whole thing just dying. Unless I am misunderstanding what TPM actually is/does.

4 hours ago, yuhhitslit said:

So does TPM stay enabled on the CPU then? I'm just worried about windows not launching properly and then the whole thing just dying. Unless I am misunderstanding what TPM actually is/does.

No it doesn’t stay on.

but you’re not going to corrupt drives because tpm finest do anythingg to the drives.

I think that latter is is happening here

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

On 1/21/2022 at 5:12 AM, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

No it doesn’t stay on.

but you’re not going to corrupt drives because tpm finest do anythingg to the drives.

I think that latter is is happening here

So Windows 11 should still boot up even without TPM enabled?

Just now, yuhhitslit said:

So Windows 11 should still boot up even without TPM enabled?

It does still boot with tpm disabled.

I’ve done some testing on my windows 11 install, everything still works (except valorant f you riot)

it’ll even still work if you install windows 11 on a pc that didn’t even have uefi, secure boot, or tpm to begin with

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler