GPU Load and Temp relationship question.

ManUfc237

If I run a game for example that puts the card under 99 percent load and get a certain temperature, can I expect to get that temperature in any other game that has a 99 percent load? 

For example, if I stabilize at 70c at 99 percent load on Guardians of the Galaxy can I expect 70c to be the max temp anytime load is 99percent regardless of game? 

Thank you in advance!

Nope. There are different types of 100% load. With CPUs (since I know CPU benchmarks better than games, but the concepts apply to both), different programs give different temperatures for different loads. Cinebench, for example, might run at ~80C, but in Prime95, you might run at 90C. 

It's kinda like how with overclocking, you might be completely stable in one game yet crash immediately in another, it's because they load the GPU in different ways. The different loads output different thermal amounts, and thus temps will be different. It probably won't be much different, maybe 5C at most, but it can be different.

8 minutes ago, ManUfc237 said:

if I stabilize at 70c at 99 percent load on Guardians of the Galaxy can I expect 70c to be the max temp anytime load is 99percent regardless of game?

for other modern games it will depend on how the game is programmed, you won't see massive swings like 99% load at 50C and 99% load and 80C on the same card, typically you will find less than 10C change between games.

This is usually due to how the textures and geometry of the game are loaded and swapped to VRAM, Ray Tracing and filtering, basically it's how the game is keeping the GPU at 99%.

Tonnes of games can't maintain 99% usage and bounce between 70 and 99% which will lower temps or raise temps based on how much time the core is at 99% vs lower. if you want to find the true max your card will run use FurMark and make the GPU hurt for a few minutes, games are too inconsistent.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Nope. Even if both the games use 99% of the GPU, they use each different amounts of power to achieve it, which may result in certain games running hotter than others.

My Rx480 can run Forza 5 at 80c no problem, but will overheat like a mf when running for example Devour, which is because the games are differently programmed and optimized.