os to ssd

xaviltt

So i recently bought a new SATA ssd but now i need to figure out how to get windows 11 on it.

how do i transfer my OS to my new SSD?

I dont know for sure, but I once had a similair question and it had a really useful answer that I have since used a few times

A SATA to USB adapter such as this and drive cloning software such as Macrium Reflect Free. 

Note that it is always preferred to fresh install the OS and not clone it. These days its much better but there is still always the risk of the software not correctly cloning to SSD leading to performance issues with it. Fresh installs are always better. 

3 hours ago, rickeo said:

A SATA to USB adapter such as this and drive cloning software such as Macrium Reflect Free. 

Note that it is always preferred to fresh install the OS and not clone it. These days its much better but there is still always the risk of the software not correctly cloning to SSD leading to performance issues with it. Fresh installs are always better. 

This is sooooo wrong on so many levels.

When a data center  VMotions a production guest server live to another cluster while it has 1000 clients attached to it they are essentially cloning the OS- live. When you backup and restore a drive or partition you are cloning it. We've come a ways since the days of Marconi and Tesla and Windows 3.1. Please stop with this FUD. Volume Shadow Copy has removed all those pesky file level OS copy issues. Now if you are sad enough to be using Clonezilla.....that's a different story.

Back in the floppy disk and Fat16 days you had software that would mark a cluster as corrupt as a form of copy protection. Again, we've come a long ways with NTFS and Linux EXT.

Macrium Reflect is still my favorite tool for this.

GUYS HOW DOES CLONING WORK HELP IM TO STUPID FOR THIS