[Help] Wired internet random spikes

SeanDavidS

Hello forums!

I usually don't ask for help as I most times manage to fix these issues by myself, but this time I have no clue, hopefully one of you know what may cause this.

The issue: Random ms spikes on cabled connection causing games to be unplayable.

Sometimes everything is fine, but out of nowhere, huge ms lag.

I've done a ton of troubleshooting, this is what I've done:

- All flush dns and renew/release commands

- Tested with new cables

- Rebooted router

- Turned off many router functions that could be in the way

- Set specific settings on router that is supposed to "boost" the ping/ms and jitter

- Done some key register changes and added things that also is supposed to reduce ms on computer

- Tried to update all kinds of drivers as well as OS

- Stopped almost all background processes and made sure nothing was running that could actually use up internet bandwith

Right now as I am writing this post the issue has resolved itself, but it will come back for sure.

I will then post my tracert with IPs blacked out.

It is always the second hop on my tracert that has the first huge spike, first hop is always <1ms.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Ping Min/Max over 60 seconds

High_Low_MS.jpg

Ping

MS_Spikes.jpg

Tracert

21t4Rnb72q.jpg

Edited by SeanDavidS

Issue may not be under your control.

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Give the free demo a try and see what you can find, post screenshots if need be (there are plenty of YT vids showing how to use/read this program, it's not difficult)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The second hop on a trace route is from your router to the first router in your ISPs network.  If that is where it happens, either your ISP is having issues (shared cable network?) or your internet connection is under heavy load, usually means you connections upload is being maxed.  

What speed of internet do you have? 

Do you have anything that could be uploading?  

Is the ip of the 2nd hope a 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.0 address?

If the ping to your router is <1ms this means it has nothing to do with your computer (the OS or cables).

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Issue may not be under your control.

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Give the free demo a try and see what you can find, post screenshots if need be (there are plenty of YT vids showing how to use/read this program, it's not difficult)

I'll give this software a shot, thanks!

21 minutes ago, Allan B said:

The second hop on a trace route is from your router to the first router in your ISPs network.  If that is where it happens, either your ISP is having issues (shared cable network?) or your internet connection is under heavy load, usually means you connections upload is being maxed.  

What speed of internet do you have? 

Do you have anything that could be uploading?  

Is the ip of the 2nd hope a 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.0 address?

If the ping to your router is <1ms this means it has nothing to do with your computer (the OS or cables).

Si I've edited my post now with the tracert to show how it looks (trying to hide as much place info as possible ofc). The second hop is a 10.239 etc. address.

Does the tracert give you some more info regarding what it can be? Probably my ISP..
I don't have very fast internet but it is 50 Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up. There is nothing that is hogging the internet. I've turned off all my devices completely that could've

been the culprit. Also my router says with its monitor tools that there is like 0.03 Mb/s so there is almost nothing going through. Glasswire (#sponsor lul) also says that there is mostly nothing going on.

15 minutes ago, SeanDavidS said:

I'll give this software a shot, thanks!

Si I've edited my post now with the tracert to show how it looks (trying to hide as much place info as possible ofc). The second hop is a 10.239 etc. address.

Does the tracert give you some more info regarding what it can be? Probably my ISP..
I don't have very fast internet but it is 50 Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up. There is nothing that is hogging the internet. I've turned off all my devices completely that could've

been the culprit. Also my router says with its monitor tools that there is like 0.03 Mb/s so there is almost nothing going through. Glasswire (#sponsor lul) also says that there is mostly nothing going on.

The second hop being 10.x address is interesting, means you are going through something to get to the internet, like a VPN.   That is most likely where your problem is..  

are you on a budget ISP that may not offer public ip addresses to it's customers?

53 minutes ago, Allan B said:

The second hop being 10.x address is interesting, means you are going through something to get to the internet, like a VPN.   That is most likely where your problem is..  

are you on a budget ISP that may not offer public ip addresses to it's customers?

Hmm. Something through my system or the building? (I live in a building with multiple stories). The ISP should not be an issue with public ip adresses, they've been good so far on everything. I will call them tomorrow morning and ask them if they know anything. They might be updating a line or whatever. I'll update this thread with the information tomorrow. Thank you for this insight Allan B, really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

So that took some time, but I got my answers now.
The trouble was that my modem was an old type that my provider didn't support anymore, thus resulting in unstable connection. I got it changed to a new one and now everything is good. So for anyone having the same issue, check your modem! 🙂