Should I run a vm just for nginx to reverse proxy for my domain?

Pa1yn

I have a server running proxmox with multiple vms with different webservers such as my wordpress site that run on apache using virtualhosts. In order to specify what webserver to load dependent on a subdomain would it make more sense for each VM to have an nginx instance rerouting the domain request to their webservers or should I have a dedicated VM that processes the requests and points them to the appropriate webserver by pointing to the specific VM's internal IP?

So I'm guessing that your internal VM Servers share one public IPv4 address that you want to split between them depending on what subdomain was called. If that is the case you will need a proxy and have it be the one with the public address that reroutes all the traffic to the internal addresses.

It might be a bit messy tough to configure if your webservers all use the same ports as your proxy won't know what application they wanted to reach so you might need the DNS SRV records to point to identifyable ports on your proxy which will then relay them to your server with the correct port.

47 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

So I'm guessing that your internal VM Servers share one public IPv4 address that you want to split between them depending on what subdomain was called. If that is the case you will need a proxy and have it be the one with the public address that reroutes all the traffic to the internal addresses.

It might be a bit messy tough to configure if your webservers all use the same ports as your proxy won't know what application they wanted to reach so you might need the DNS SRV records to point to identifyable ports on your proxy which will then relay them to your server with the correct port.

They all run off of one external public address