Finally found the problem to my gpu shutting down. Need help diagnosing the issue.

I have had my gpu undervolted on my xps 15 for more than a year I think. I made it so that it didn't go above 0.8v 1300mhz.

Some time ago, just randomly, my gpu would just stop working. When I'm browsing the web, or using photoshop, (just randomly) the screen will flicker and the readings from afterburner would disappear. The problem occurs even when it's not undervolted (in stock settings). For a long time, I just dealt with it by restarting my laptop and going on with my day. Then I got tired of it.

So I reset my laptop 2 nights ago. All was good. Until I decided to install afterburner to monitor my gpu clock and Temps. But after setting up just my OSD settings and loading up a game, the game crashed and gpu poof. Uninstalled it and all was good. So I installed gpu tweak 2 instead.

So, any insights on what could have caused this behavior?

TLDR: Afterburner (stock settings) makes gpu go poof and restarting makes it turn on again.

1 hour ago, hishiiro said:

I have had my gpu undervolted on my xps 15 for more than a year I think. I made it so that it didn't go above 0.8v 1300mhz.

Some time ago, just randomly, my gpu would just stop working. When I'm browsing the web, or using photoshop, (just randomly) the screen will flicker and the readings from afterburner would disappear. The problem occurs even when it's not undervolted (in stock settings). For a long time, I just dealt with it by restarting my laptop and going on with my day. Then I got tired of it.

So I reset my laptop 2 nights ago. All was good. Until I decided to install afterburner to monitor my gpu clock and Temps. But after setting up just my OSD settings and loading up a game, the game crashed and gpu poof. Uninstalled it and all was good. So I installed gpu tweak 2 instead.

So, any insights on what could have caused this behavior?

TLDR: Afterburner (stock settings) makes gpu go poof and restarting makes it turn on again.

If the problem lies within using Afterburner is there any reason that you can't just stop using it?  I mean, if Afterburner is causing the problem seems pretty obvious to me that to stop it, then quit using Afterburner.  Nobody is forcing you to use it, right?

If I downloaded a program for my machine and all it did was cause problems then I would stop using it and remove it from my system.

Good Luck

12 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

If the problem lies within using Afterburner is there any reason that you can't just stop using it?  I mean, if Afterburner is causing the problem seems pretty obvious to me that to stop it, then quit using Afterburner.  Nobody is forcing you to use it, right?

If I downloaded a program for my machine and all it did was cause problems then I would stop using it and remove it from my system.

Good Luck

Yes. I know that. Just wanted to learn about why its doing that after almost an year without any problems. So I'll know more about my system. Thanks.

Sigh.I mentioned it happens even at stock settings. No settings made in afterburner. Fresh install. Just keeping it open and running a game crashes it. But never mind. I'll just leave it at that.