Is it worth it?

kb5zue

Is it worth it to purchase a small (<128GB) NVME drive to use as the boot drive (C:), and then use the 1TB NVME (D:) drive for everything else?  That way the only thing on the small (C:) drive would be the operating system with software, games, garbage, pics, docs, and all the rest of useless stuff for the (D:) drive.

Right now I have a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus as my boot (C:) everything drive and was just contemplating the idea of adding a small (less than 128GB) NVME drive as an OS drive and then using the 970 Evo Plus for everything else.  Not sure if I'm putting my thoughts into words so I hope you get the idea.

Hope you all are having a good holiday season.

Good Luck.

<-- Moved to Storage Devices -->

Please ensure you're selecting the most appropriate subforum for new threads. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

not really worth it. Those super small SSDs are a very bad value, and for not much more you can get a 256GB drive, and you'll get very little, if any performance increase for it. I'd only buy more SSDs if you need more storage

I doubt you would ever notice the difference in performance, but it would much easier to reformat your OS, since you could keep all your games and big files on the other drive, without having to wait for everything to re-download.

Also if you decide to get it, get atleast a 250gb since you always want to keep a bare minimum of 10% (ideally over 15%) free on the drive and having windows and software pile up over time, you are gonna be full really fast

Many thanks to all that responded, I really appreciate the info.

Good Luck, have a great holiday season.