Install Drivers on Ubuntu

So because I'm getting a raspberry pi I decided to learn command line linux (I know nothing about it).

I installed ubuntu 12.04 and its working, except I have no idea how to install any drivers. I did download and use the additional drivers program though.

The biggest issue right now is that I can't install my wifi pcie card driver off the cd, meaning I can only connect to the internet using a usb wifi thing I'm borrowing from a friend.

If anybody can help me install my drivers I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer not to have to use the terminal if it's not necessary but I will if I have to.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

What is your wifi pci-e card model and are you just wanting to install the drivers for your PCI-E card or for something else also?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I have a Rosewill N600PCE

it is my first priority for drivers, but after that I need to install drivers for my Logitech G930s and my Gigabyte 970A UD3p mobo.

EDIT: nevermind about the logitech g930s, the software only works on windows. they still work though.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I have a Rosewill N600PCE

it is my first priority for drivers, but after that I need to install drivers for my Logitech G930s and my Gigabyte 970A UD3p mobo.

EDIT: nevermind about the logitech g930s, the software only works on windows. they still work though.

It seems to have a linux driver:http://www.rosewill.com/products/2322/ProductDetail_Download.htm

I'll come back to this post as I need to test on my linux vm to see how it installs.

It should be this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408695&s=b83fd5f32bf3c80f19ac8e780ede6160&p=8845162#post8845162 but i'll test it to see if it works before confirming it.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm still in amazement of this whole command line idea.

I've been into computers for a while but never learned this... it's some cool stuff.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I'm still in amazement of this whole command line idea.

I've been into computers for a while but never learned this... it's some cool stuff.

I can tell you from experience, it will seem like a step backward at first.

"What? I need to memorize weird commands with arcane flags/parameters? How am I supposed to know what tar -zxvf does? Why isn't there just a button?"

But then you start learning things and realize just how quick and efficient the command line can be. Using a CLI more effectively than a GUI is a wonderful feeling.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I can tell you from experience, it will seem like a step backward at first.

"What? I need to memorize weird commands with arcane flags/parameters? How am I supposed to know what tar -zxvf does? Why isn't there just a button?"

But then you start learning things and realize just how quick and efficient the command line can be. Using a CLI more effectively than a GUI is a wonderful feeling.

Relavent XKCD http://xkcd.com/1168/

Also OP, when you get the Pi you won't have to muscle around with drivers, normally all drivers are shipped with the OS, but some can get left out Roswill seems to be using a Ralink chipset in your card.. it does not surprise me that theres no drivers. If you are looking into wireless with linux in the future, try to steer towards atheros. They generally have good support.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

So I haven't done much since posting this, but I have gotten into the file.

I looked into the readme and ehre are the instructions...

1> $tar -xvzf DPB_RT2860_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x.tgz    go to "./DPB_RT2860_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x" directory.    2> In Makefile	 set the "MODE = STA" in Makefile and chose the TARGET to Linux by set "TARGET = LINUX"	 define the linux kernel source include file path LINUX_SRC	 modify to meet your need.3> In os/linux/config.mk 	define the GCC and LD of the target machine	define the compiler flags CFLAGS	modify to meet your need.	** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions	   Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.	   => #>cd wpa_supplicant-x.x	   => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d	** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Driver	   Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.	   => #>cd wpa_supplicant-0.5.7	   => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d4> $make				# compile driver source code	# To fix "error: too few arguments to function ¡¥iwe_stream_add_event"	  => $patch -i os/linux/sta_ioctl.c.patch os/linux/sta_ioctl.c5> $cp RT2860STA.dat  /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat           6> load driver    #[kernel 2.4]    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2860sta.o    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up            #[kernel 2.6]    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2860sta.ko    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up7> unload driver        $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 down	$/sbin/rmmod rt2860sta

I'm already confused on the first step since the file name is DPO_GPL_RT5592STA_LinuxSTA_v2.6.0.0_20120326

thanks again

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

So I haven't done much since posting this, but I have gotten into the file.

I looked into the readme and ehre are the instructions...

1> $tar -xvzf DPB_RT2860_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x.tgz    go to "./DPB_RT2860_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x" directory.    2> In Makefile	 set the "MODE = STA" in Makefile and chose the TARGET to Linux by set "TARGET = LINUX"	 define the linux kernel source include file path LINUX_SRC	 modify to meet your need.3> In os/linux/config.mk 	define the GCC and LD of the target machine	define the compiler flags CFLAGS	modify to meet your need.	** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions	   Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.	   => #>cd wpa_supplicant-x.x	   => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d	** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Driver	   Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.	   => #>cd wpa_supplicant-0.5.7	   => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d4> $make				# compile driver source code	# To fix "error: too few arguments to function ¡¥iwe_stream_add_event"	  => $patch -i os/linux/sta_ioctl.c.patch os/linux/sta_ioctl.c5> $cp RT2860STA.dat  /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat           6> load driver    #[kernel 2.4]    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2860sta.o    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up            #[kernel 2.6]    #    $/sbin/insmod rt2860sta.ko    #    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up7> unload driver        $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 down	$/sbin/rmmod rt2860sta

I'm already confused on the first step since the file name is DPO_GPL_RT5592STA_LinuxSTA_v2.6.0.0_20120326

thanks again

I got step one and step two but I got lost in step 3 lol. Step one is basically accessing your extracted folder using (cd (press tab after the extraction)) and I don't think you need to change anything in step 2. So i went to step 4 by typing in "sudo make" and "cp RT2860STA.dat etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" and finally "sudo make install" but I don't think it did anything so I wouldn't try it as it might mess up your system.