Question - USB Type-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort compatibility

Nullosta

Good day dear reader. 

I have a slight concern and a couple of questions. 

I'm planning to buy a new Laptop (Acer Nitro 5 - specs can be found here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-55-Laptop-Review-Price-to-performance-champ-with-an-RTX-3060.540607.0.html

However, the laptop does not have a DisplayPort on board, but it has USB Type-C (USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port). 

The questions are:

1. Will a USB Type-C to DisplayPort cable support FreeSync on 2560x1080@144hz which the LG monitor I own already supports?  Monitor: LG 34UC79G-B - specs: LG 34UC79G-B: 34 Inch Class UltraWide Gaming Monitor | LG USA)

2. Same as point 1 but using an HDMI cable instead of Type-C to DisplayPort cable. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi, do not forget that the C port is NOT listed as a thunderbolt port. Anything requiring thunderbolt will not work or at least not work the way you expect.

Given your screen has HDMI, don't bother converting HDMI to Displayport - it will likely have to be an "active" cable that also requires a USB connection.

Freesync itself does work over HDMI - https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-Does-AMD-FreeSync™-technology-work-over-HDMI®?

The only way to know if THIS LAPTOP work with Freesync in this configuration will be to try it. But a decent HDMI cable doesn't break the bank and isn't hard to obtain.

You laptop only lists USB protocols on the USB-C port, this means a USB-C to Displayport cable will not work. The USB-C port needs to support USB-Alt-Mode/Displayport over USB for this to work 

A basic Displayport to HDMI cable only works if the source has Displayport and the display has HDMI, if you need it to work the other way you need a active converter, I doubt freesync works with a active converter