Worth the upgrade?

MoToX
Go to solution Solved by BuzzingBee,

IMO not worth the upgrade to another 1440p IPS unless you're having issues with your current monitor.

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for a new monitor and to make a long story short I have now waited 3 months for the 4K monitor I want with no delivery date in sight, the same is true for 3 other possible 4K displays I want...

Therefore I am wondering if it would be worth to upgrade my current 1440p monitor to a newer model? Since the one I currently have is a Acer 27" LED Predator G-Sync XB270HU that I bought in 2015. 

Since the resolution will be the same, and since it is has to notice a difference from 165 hz to 180 or even 240hz (Plus I dont care to much about refresh rate as long as I have 144) the difference for me should be within the colors of the display and the range of colors it would be able to display. Since my current monitor is 6 years old I was wondering if it would be worth it?

I will be using the monitor for both content creation and gaming.

Sincerely,

Simon

28 minutes ago, MoToX said:

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for a new monitor and to make a long story short I have now waited 3 months for the 4K monitor I want with no delivery date in sight, the same is true for 3 other possible 4K displays I want...

Therefore I am wondering if it would be worth to upgrade my current 1440p monitor to a newer model? Since the one I currently have is a Acer 27" LED Predator G-Sync XB270HU that I bought in 2015. 

Since the resolution will be the same, and since it is has to notice a difference from 165 hz to 180 or even 240hz (Plus I dont care to much about refresh rate as long as I have 144) the difference for me should be within the colors of the display and the range of colors it would be able to display. Since my current monitor is 6 years old I was wondering if it would be worth it?

Sincerely,

Simon

What is your use case?
IS this for gaming or media creation?

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

18 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

What is your use case?
IS this for gaming or media creation?

It is a mixture of both

3 hours ago, MoToX said:

It is a mixture of both

I personally stopped using 4K for gaming and went you high refresh rate 2K monitors. I have a 3080 and 4K frames were not that good in lots of AAA titles unless I compromised on quality.
In your place I would get one 2K for gaming with high refresh rate and one 4K for creation that doesn't need 1 ms and 185 mhz.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

IMO not worth the upgrade to another 1440p IPS unless you're having issues with your current monitor.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

9 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

Okay, because I do have some issues but I think it should still be able to last some time yet. 

38 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

I personally stopped using 4K for gaming and went you high refresh rate 2K monitors. I have a 3080 and 4K frames were not that good in lots of AAA titles unless I compromised on quality.
In your place I would get one 2K for gaming with high refresh rate and one 4K for creation that doesn't need 1 ms and 185 mhz.

Well I already have a 2K monitor and dont have room for a second one. 
That is why I wanted to upgrade to a 4K, and since that is not possible for the foreseeable future that is why I was wondering if it would be worth changing out my current monitor since it is 6 years old.