Using an existing SSD as a cache for 2 HDDs

Dazza17

Hi all!

I'm looking to in prove the storage situation of my rig with an additional 1 or 2TB HDD and a 500GB NVMe boot drive. I currently have a 128GB SATA SSD boot drive with a 1TB HDD.

Would it be possible to use the current 128GB SSD as a cache for the 2 HDDs, after transferring the data to the new 500GB NVMe drive?

If you have a compatible AMD system they offer StoreMI for free: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi

A general solution is PrimoCache but it is paid software: https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

I do not have experience with using either of the above. I'm not certain if either allow a single cache SSD to work with 2 HDs. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Dazza17 said:

Hi all!

I'm looking to in prove the storage situation of my rig with an additional 1 or 2TB HDD and a 500GB NVMe boot drive. I currently have a 128GB SATA SSD boot drive with a 1TB HDD.

Would it be possible to use the current 128GB SSD as a cache for the 2 HDDs, after transferring the data to the new 500GB NVMe drive?

PrimoCache can definately do that, , you setup the pool of drives and then use PrimoCache to cache the drive letter that was created when you pooled the 2 drives, you can also cache individual drives. By default PrimoCache uses system memory as L1 cache and any physical hard drive assigned as L2 cache

It will copy the information to the SSD in this case and then offload it to the Hard Drives at an integer of time you determine.

Note tho that the speed is completely determined by the speed of the slowest drive in any operation.  SO even tho you might have a blisteringly fast 2 hard drives or NVME if what you are reading from initially or copying too ultimately is slow then you wont see much improvement at all.