Intel To AMD; Need Guidance!

Go to solution Solved by maartendc,
1 hour ago, vandy2k said:

Hi everyone! I’m currently planning to switch from INTEL to an AMD CPU but I don’t know where to begin!

Current Specs:

• CPU: Intel I5 11400 

• GPU: RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming B560 Plus Wifi 

SSD: Crucial P2 1TB

• RAM: Ripjaws 16GB 3600mhz 

• PSU: 650W 

I plan to buy a Ryzen 7 5800X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570 F Mobo. Maybe a new PSU as well, 850W?

With that, what should I do first? If I use the same SSD, will that have all my files from my current build right now? If not, how do I keep all my current files and applications when I make the switch? Additionally, do I need to buy anything else? New SSD or RAM? (P.S. I want to upgrade my current SSD to a 2TB SATA since I heard game loading times are faster, is this advisable? Any suggestions on what I should get?) 

Thanks so much in advanced! Excited to see some responses! 

Uhm, why would you switch from a relatively new CPU like the 11400 to a Ryzen 5800X?

They should not be that far apart in performance in games for example. Only for productivity apps that make use of more cores, the 5800X would be faster.

No need to get new RAM or SSD regardless. You can keep everything from your current system besides the motherboard.

You current SSD is faster than a SATA SSD, don't change it. More capacity does not mean faster, just bigger.

Hi everyone! I’m currently planning to switch from INTEL to an AMD CPU but I don’t know where to begin!

Current Specs:

I plan to buy a Ryzen 7 5800X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570 F Mobo. Maybe a new PSU as well, 850W?

With that, what should I do first? If I use the same SSD, will that have all my files from my current build right now? If not, how do I keep all my current files and applications when I make the switch? Additionally, do I need to buy anything else? New SSD or RAM? (P.S. I want to upgrade my current SSD to a 2TB SATA since I heard game loading times are faster, is this advisable? Any suggestions on what I should get?) 

27 minutes ago, vandy2k said:

I want to upgrade my current SSD to a 2TB SATA

? NVME drives have faster read and write than SATA. Where did you hear SATA is faster?

28 minutes ago, vandy2k said:

I plan to buy a Ryzen 7 5800X

Why not just upgrade your CPU to 11700? Would be cheaper and you wouldn't need to change out motherboard.

30 minutes ago, vandy2k said:

Maybe a new PSU as well, 850W?

You would probably need this for the 3080.

31 minutes ago, vandy2k said:

With that, what should I do first? If I use the same SSD, will that have all my files from my current build right now? If not, how do I keep all my current files and applications when I make the switch

If you're changing platforms, the best thing to do is do a fresh install. That would mean all your files would be wiped. I would recommend transferring files into a back up USB, then doing a fresh install of windows. This should prevent any weird driver issues from occurring

33 minutes ago, vandy2k said:

Additionally, do I need to buy anything else? New SSD or RAM?

More ram = nicer experience, not entirely necessary cause windows will do some ram compression if you're a little low on ram. PC does do some ram swapping with SSD, which shortens life of SSD if it needs to do that.

If you want to get a better SSD, go with one that has a dram buffer. It will help with read/write speeds and make the overall system snappier. Here are some you can look into:

Storage: Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: PNY CS2130 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 

There are 2TB versions of all of these

1 hour ago, vandy2k said:

Current Specs:

Uhm, why would you switch from a relatively new CPU like the 11400 to a Ryzen 5800X?

They should not be that far apart in performance in games for example. Only for productivity apps that make use of more cores, the 5800X would be faster.

No need to get new RAM or SSD regardless. You can keep everything from your current system besides the motherboard.

You current SSD is faster than a SATA SSD, don't change it. More capacity does not mean faster, just bigger.