Crazy Cooling Concepts

Hi folks, 

I've always been impressed by the insane measures people go to in order to their pc temps down and benchmarks up. After binge watching and many hours of Linus videos and much sleep deprivation I'm curious to know of what other kinds of ridiculous things people have done, and their results.

Also, I was inspired by the old mineral oil PC and found the freezing point of mineral oil is −4 °C. It seems that being emerged would eliminate the condensation issue and keeping the entire system at such a low tempurature  may be possible. Perhaps even using a pump system to keep the oil moving. I may just be way to tired to think straight, but does this sound feasible? 

Anyway, I'd love hear other out-there ideas. 

You Guys Rock!

-Phreekachu (Choose ME)

On 12/5/2021 at 11:04 PM, Phreekachu said:

It seems that being emerged would eliminate the condensation issue and keeping the entire system at such a low tempurature  may be possible. Perhaps even using a pump system to keep the oil moving. I may just be way to tired to think straight, but does this sound feasible?

I was thinking of the exact same thing a couple days ago...my conclusion after thinking about it for a little was that it would be difficult to get enough flow to the CPU/GPU, even with a pump or jet or something. Even if you did manage to get enough to the components, wouldn't it be hard to get the hot oil away from it and to a cooler fast enough? 

Instead of that, what about just using a normal phase change cooling setup but with the computer immersed? Seems like that would give all the benefits of phase change cooling with no worries about condensation. On top of that, if you cooled the oil as well, it would keep components that don't need as much cooling (SSD, RAM) cool without having to do anything special. Just a thought.

people use to use a loop in the mineral oil pcs but im guessing the pump wound not last as the oil is thicker then water. there was an gear d5 pump meant for oil but i think mineral oil pcs were not that common then. i have seen a oil pc build using these pumps and had gageses and hard tubes on it. dont remember if it worked or not.

so first problem is moving the oil in a loop fast enough and 2 cool the oil. my guess is that it will need a big rad to dissipate the heat but just a guess. i no with water you can drip it and add air to it to cool and dont no if that will work for oil thow? i think i also seen a drip pc build too.

theres another idea of adding air in the mix

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

34 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

people use to use a loop in the mineral oil pcs but im guessing the pump wound not last as the oil is thicker then water.

Why do you have to use an oil loop? A normal phase change loop with refrigerant was what I was thinking, but just with the system immersed so you don't have to worry about condensation or cooling SSD/RAM. 

34 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

my guess is that it will need a big rad to dissipate the heat but just a guess

I think Phreekachu was thinking of a sub-ambient immersed cooling system...

EDIT: unless you mean just the oil in the tank and not an oil loop...the oil in the tank would still need to be cooled to near-ambient at least, even if you're cooling the CPU/GPU with phase change

12 hours ago, alexstore06 said:

Why do you have to use an oil loop? A normal phase change loop with refrigerant was what I was thinking, but just with the system immersed so you don't have to worry about condensation or cooling SSD/RAM. 

I think Phreekachu was thinking of a sub-ambient immersed cooling system...

EDIT: unless you mean just the oil in the tank and not an oil loop...the oil in the tank would still need to be cooled to near-ambient at least, even if you're cooling the CPU/GPU with phase change

i be leave you need some flow as the oil by the hot spots will just stay hot. i dont really no how oil pc work there just not a good idea.

i no i seen some new submerged tec were there were gpus under liquid

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links