Is my ROG Strix Gaming X380-F motherboard compatible with the SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 of 1TB from WD?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Yes, you can use a Gen 4 drive lik the SN850 in a Gen 3 slot. AMD doesn't artificially lock there m.2 slots like Intel. 

As far as copying, you can do so with some tools out there. 

Just like title says, I want to buy a new SSD since the current one is only 256 GB and I'm almost out of space even though I save almost everything on my HDD. 

Is there also a way to directly copy everything from the old SSD to the new one?

Every answer will be much appreciated!

Hi

Looks like there is an M.2 Slot on your board, so yes it should work. But take the SN750 and not the SN750 SE which is gen4, you need a gen3

For the transfer, i will say yes and now, you can but if you have windows installed on it, forget about it and install windows in the new SSD.

I don't know what you have on the 256gb one, but for games you can download them again later, and if you have files i would copy them manually to your HDD ahead of installing Windows again.

Good luck

Yes, you can use a Gen 4 drive lik the SN850 in a Gen 3 slot. AMD doesn't artificially lock there m.2 slots like Intel. 

As far as copying, you can do so with some tools out there. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card