Will a 3080ti be fine with my old psu?

PigeonG
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Kind of an old PSU.聽 May not like the excursion loads that Ampere whacks cards with.聽 But it doesn't hurt to try.聽 You put the parts together.聽 If the PSU shuts down, then you know you need a new PSU.

Hi! First time posting in this forum so nice to meet you all!聽 (And sorry if I posted this on the wrong place, I hope I did not)

I recently won an ASUS ROG strix 3080ti OC on a Giveaway (I don't believe it either - Thank you ASUS 馃グ) and I'm curious if it would be a good idea to just drop it in my old gaming pc (it used to have an r9 390 that sadly broke, so I have been gpu-less for the last 8 months). It has an i5 6600k (Not OC), 8 gigs of ram (I will upgrade to 16 soon), one sata SSD and one HDD. This runs on a Corsair CS750m psu (80+ gold) that has been more than enough since early 2016 that I bought it.

Nvidia recommends a 750w psu for the 3080ti but ASUS recommends a 850w psu for the gpu I will be getting (If I understood correctly the card can take up to ~450w while under heavy load)

By just summing up the wattage of my parts, my psu should be fine, but I would like to hear your opinion on the matter since my psu is a bit old now + its a really expensive and rare card to take any risks I may not understand.

Is there any reason to underclock/undervolt the card or buy a new psu?

(Note: I game on 1080p - Its perfectly fine for me and I don't own a higher res monitor, so the biggest load that the card may run is CUDA code since I'm a developer and I plan to experiment with CUDA a bit)

Thank you all for your time and I hope you have an amazing day!

Should be fine. 3080 Ti uses 350w max and your CPU uses up to 70w. That leaves more than 300w for other components. While the CS isn't the best unit (tier B gold), it's good enough to not be worth upgrading from it unless it causes issues. It would probably last like 2 or 3 more years before needing replacement.

Kind of an old PSU.聽 May not like the excursion loads that Ampere whacks cards with.聽 But it doesn't hurt to try.聽 You put the parts together.聽 If the PSU shuts down, then you know you need a new PSU.

Thank you both for the quick replies! I guess I will try it when the card arrives and we will see