Upgrading CPU after enabling TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot?

Hello my good people!

Im by no means an expert on all things PC and all its components so im sorry if this is a dumb question.

So i was browsing my local tech sites in my country to see if there are any good Black Week deals to be had (since they start advertising this a bit early to hook in customers) and came over some CPU's (none of interest atm) and it got me thinking, now that ive made my system compatible with windows 11 by activating TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot do i need to deactivate this again if i decide to upgrade CPU's?

As i recall when enabling TPM and Secureboot your CPU becomes more integrated in your system in order to protect your personal data and so on so it acts like authentication for your computer in a way, meaning i would need to keep my old chip and disable this beofre inserting the new one and re-enabling it, am i wrong or just dumb here?

Sorry if this is worded wierd! I hope whoever reads this catch what i mean by this :)

I'd like to know this beforehand when i decide to upgrade my CPU down the line so i dont accidentally get rid of my old cpu first before i do these necessary changes :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder this as well.

All I can find when searching for this is how to enable TPM 2.0 or how to bypass it. 

From my understanding, it depends on whether you are using a TPM chip hooked to the motherboard or if you are using TPM firmware on the CPU. If the latter, then you will absolutely have problems with a CPU swap if you don't disable it first. If the former... I don't know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

So at least im not the only one wondering this, not a big deal, i just need to remember to disable tpm 2.0 before swapping to a new cpu in the future.

Altough i find it wierd that Linus does not mention this in his videos considering its fairly important, i mean if you did loose or sell off you old cpu before tweaking this would mean you're royally boned right? Unless you're willing to reinstall windows? Or would that be pretty bad aswell?