Fast Transfer Speed on a NAS Drive.

Arthur_Barker

Hey, 

I am a filmmaker, and I am looking for a fast way after a shoot to transfer data to a backup system. We mainly work out of one location and on average film a bout 500GB - 1TB of data in a day. So I would be a looking for a solution that would be a able to transfer speeds of about 500 MB/s (This is the fastest write speed of our Cfast cards). 

I was thinking of getting a Nas Drive with some SSD, but connection straight to the NAS drive from let say a MAC would you able to get transfer speed that we need? 

If not what would be a better solution?

Cheers, 

A

1 hour ago, Arthur_Barker said:

Hey, 

I am a filmmaker, and I am looking for a fast way after a shoot to transfer data to a backup system. We mainly work out of one location and on average film a bout 500GB - 1TB of data in a day. So I would be a looking for a solution that would be a able to transfer speeds of about 500 MB/s (This is the fastest write speed of our Cfast cards). 

I was thinking of getting a Nas Drive with some SSD, but connection straight to the NAS drive from let say a MAC would you able to get transfer speed that we need? 

If not what would be a better solution?

Cheers, 

A

Does your MAC have 10GBe connection? You could get a NAS with at least 1 10GBe port and a 10GBe switch could get you your desired speeds. 5GBe could work too. 

The Ubiquiti UniFi Switch Flex XG for example has 4x 10GBe switchports. That will get you your desired speeds. You also need a PC/MAC and NAS capable of that speed.