In wall ethernet

TryArch
Go to solution Solved by Tea1337,

What will I need the switch for?

Switch so that if you want to add more ethernet cables you can. You don't need one a router with enough ports is just fine.

I want to setup 6 in wall ethernet ports and route them around the house, I want to put 2 in the office 2 in the living room area 1 where another tv is and the last on the the bedroom

How should I go about setting it up? Will I need a switch or a special router or do I just put the cables in the walls and be done with it?

(Getting an electrician to do all the wiring for the new place on Monday)

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

I was thinking just get a router and label the connections next to the router so I only have the ones I use plugged in (3 of the 6) but i want to have the option to use the others I can move the cables

Switch so that if you want to add more ethernet cables you can. You don't need one a router with enough ports is just fine.

Get a switch and have all the lines run to that switch and then a line running from the switch to the router. If you run all of the wires to the router it will be messy, but that's up to you. You could also use a patch panel to keep things clean.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

So I have been working on something similar gradually for the past 2 years now so I'll try and help out here. I have run 4 network cables thought my house and here are a couple things I did. I ran 1 to my down stairs bedroom, 1 to the living room down stairs as well for a console, 1 to an upstairs bedroom for a DVR for on demand movies, and the last one to a second upstairs bed room used as an office. My router has 4 out ports on the back so I was able to get away with my setup the way it was. I do want to run 1 more cable so I will need to get 1 more cable and a network switch. The switch, since you will probably need it anyway, you purchase should have a couple extra ports from the amount you need and from what i've researched the netgear lineup has lifetime warranties, just something to consider. The cables you use you can just get at best buy or home depot (home depot is better and cheaper where I live). Before you buy cables, figure out and measure how long you need, I did this and I'm running a 25ft and 3 50ft cables, and this will help you keep cost down and not have unnecessary excess. Hope my limited experience helped.

Thanks guys I'll probably skip over buying the switch and seal with the wires because they will be kinda hidden anyway