Is it safe to plug 8 pin cables into graphics card without plugging the graphics card into the pcie slot?

dobercollin

Hi. I have a hybrid gpu that I think has stubborn air stuck in the pump that won't come out. I saw a post online where a guy said he plugged the 8 pin cables into the card without it being plugged into the motherboard so the pump could turn on but he could still shake it easily to get the air out. Is this safe? Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated too.

By the way, the radiator is front mounted with the tubes at the bottom. I've tried setting my pc on different sides and I've also tried shaking the graphics card without it being installed, but nothing seems to help. Thank you.

8 hours ago, dobercollin said:

Hi. I have a hybrid gpu that I think has stubborn air stuck in the pump that won't come out. I saw a post online where a guy said he plugged the 8 pin cables into the card without it being plugged into the motherboard so the pump could turn on but he could still shake it easily to get the air out. Is this safe? Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated too.

By the way, the radiator is front mounted with the tubes at the bottom. I've tried setting my pc on different sides and I've also tried shaking the graphics card without it being installed, but nothing seems to help. Thank you.

I would not do that. 

Is the radiator above the card in the front? The top of the radiator should be above the card to capture the air.

If you have it installed like that just boot the computer and then tilt it back as far as you can without damaging the wires/ connectors and the air should flow into the rad and get stuck at the top. 

Ok I'll try that. I only tipped it side to side but never backwards. That's a good idea. Thanks.