Laptop upgrade

Hey! PC gamer noob here. I just bought my first gaming laptop, which arrives this Friday, and I was thinking on upgrading my ram since it only had 8gb and maybe get another ssd (Apparently there's an extra m.2 slot).

Do the ram sticks have to be exactly the same? Brand, mhz, etc.

Will there be any trouble if I get another internal ssd? Because I want it to work as if I plugged a permanent USB or maybe both ssd's combine, idk.

Any other advice to optimize and get best performance/quality? More fps and more resolution for gaming 🙂

Here's the laptop 

Link: MSI GF65 15.6" 144hz Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5 NVIDIA GeForce RTX3060 512GB SSD 8GB Memory Black GF65213 - Best Buy

Would also appreciate recommendations, like "buy this ram from corsair, www.amazon..." or something like that.

3 minutes ago, elmomote said:

Do the ram sticks have to be exactly the same? Brand, mhz, etc.

Yes

4 minutes ago, elmomote said:

Will there be any trouble if I get another internal ssd? Because I want it to work as if I plugged a permanent USB or maybe both ssd's combine, idk.

What do you exactly mean by "get another internel ssd"?

5 minutes ago, elmomote said:

Any other advice to optimize and get best performance/quality? More fps and more resolution for gaming 🙂

Delete bloatware,

Make sure no unwanted processes and services are running in the background.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, elmomote said:

Would also appreciate recommendations, like "buy this ram from corsair, www.amazon..." or something like that.

When you figure out what exact RAM you have, then buy more of that.  It's that simple. Brand matters not as much, but specs do if you want it running as fast as possible.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

The Mhz of the RAM should most likely be the same as going higher may not be supported and going lower will create worse performance.

RAM in laptops can be kind of weird. They tend to not support nearly as many brands as desktop boards. I would recommend you buy either Crucial, Samsung, or SKHynix  modules as they almost always work because they are big 3 OEM suppliers. Ideally if you can buy from the same brand as what is currently in the laptop that is best.

Since you are new to PC gaming I wouldn't recommend you do this, but replacing the thermal paste in the laptop can lead to better performance.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

What do you exactly mean by "get another internel ssd"?

I meant another internal SSD because the reviews say there's an extra m.2 port and I'd like to have more storage.

The ram may actually end up being easier than the SSD. You just need to make sure you try to match the speed and timing if possible. Usually even if you get slightly different timings or clock, the board will adjust to the slower of the two. 

Best case is you get the same manufacturer and speed as the original stick. You may want to wait to check that the original RAM's not already in dual channel (2x4) for the total of 8, vs. a single stick of 8. If it's the 2x4 config, you'll end up with 12 (1x4, 1x8) if you buy a single stick of 8gb.

The SSD you should make sure will match the slot on the board. You can still find m.2 SATA ssd's which won't fit all NVMe type slots and vice versa.

How to distinguish the differences between M.2 cards | Dell US

Adding the extra SSD will just show as another drive in windows explorer. Once you format it, it'll work like a USB Drive, but permanently installed. Unless you set them up in some kind of RAID (assuming the board even supports it) it won't be 'combined' with the original drive.