PCIe Ports

Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

Yes the card will fit, but it won't work. Almost all threadripper motherboards don't have a thunderbolt header, and that is required for thunderbolt cards to work. You'll need to get a motherboard that specifically supports thunderbolt like the Gigabyte Designare if you need thunderbolt on threadripper.

Hi -- I'm not very familiar with PCIe slots and I don't really understand what "x4", "x8", or "x16" means -- or if each of those is a different slot style ...

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can help me understand if this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BC11XW8

Should plug-in without an issue on this motherboard:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-trx40-xe-gaming-model/spec

I think so, because the motherboard says it has "1x PCIe 4, x4" and when I google image that, the size of the slot looks similar to the card on Amazon.

Would really appreciate an expert tell me their opinion.

THANK YOU!

It should fit, according to the product page, the card uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 link. PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, so a PCIe 3 card will work just fine in a PCIe 4 slot.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-20#kf

The x4, x8, and x16 refer to the number of PCIe lanes that the slot/device have/use. However, there are also differences in slot length, and sometimes the x4 or whatever can refer to that. You can have slots that are x8 or x4 electrically but that are the size of a x16 slot. It just means that while a x16 card will fit and function, it won't have the full 16 lanes of bandwidth.

Yes the card will fit, but it won't work. Almost all threadripper motherboards don't have a thunderbolt header, and that is required for thunderbolt cards to work. You'll need to get a motherboard that specifically supports thunderbolt like the Gigabyte Designare if you need thunderbolt on threadripper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

It should fit, according to the product page, the card uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 link. PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, so a PCIe 3 card will work just fine in a PCIe 4 slot.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-20#kf

The x4, x8, and x16 refer to the number of PCIe lanes that the slot/device have/use. However, there are also differences in slot length, and sometimes the x4 or whatever can refer to that. You can have slots that are x8 or x4 electrically but that are the size of a x16 slot. It just means that while a x16 card will fit and function, it won't have the full 16 lanes of bandwidth.

to second this, here's the spot where that card would fit. 

Spoiler

image.png.caafcd5fe2f077c0f1ec5d827f56952e.png

Not sure about the thunderbolt and headers side of things like @BobVonBob was saying, but for physically fitting, that's the spot

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

Thanks man!  Saved me the hassle of a return!