NAS box recommendation

dangolon

Hi, I'm searching for a ready-to-use NAS box. I have one system I want to back-up to two identical NAS boxes in two different locations as a data loss would be fatal.

The amount of Data I want to back up is under 100GB, so nothing terrible.

If there is a go to NAS to buy preferably with swappable drives anyone here can recommend would be awesome. Thx

17 minutes ago, dangolon said:

I have one system I want to back-up to two identical NAS boxes in two different locations as a data loss would be fatal.

The amount of Data I want to back up is under 100GB, so nothing terrible.

So cheap to implement. Personally for 2nd location at that size i would just go for a subscription of Google One, but you can do both location with the more basic DS220 series from Synology.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

for such low amounts of data i would not bother with buying two NAS systems and setting them up.

if you want the data in a safe place just upload it to something like Backblaze B2 its gonna cost you only a few bucks a month so its gonna be like 10 years before you would ever break even on buying two NAS systems.

For that sort of data just go down the route of getting some Synology hardware. The price tag may look a bit high for what they are but it's software is easy to use and it'll be perfect for what you need. I started off using Synology NAS enclosures before I got into doing my own servers.

A Synology unit would do the job perfectly. Grab a dual drive one, set it up with mirrored drives. 

The Synology systems have an app called Cloud Sync. You setup a folder/share on the NAS and it will automatically sync it with cloud storage. 

https://www.synology.com/en-au/dsm/feature/cloud_sync

Supports a decent range of file hosting providers. 

Then you'll have redundant drives locally backing up your data as well as your offsite backup covered.