Replacing 12 year old build

emosun

Budget (including currency): depends somewhat if its worth it i'd like to be under 6-7k

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Compositing , small gaming , youtube

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

The gpu is optional as I can reused my current gtx 1060. I think I can also reuse my old sata ssd's/hard drives. But everything else needs replacing with the cpu/ram currently being my biggest uses.

Board

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/M12SWA-TF
Cpu

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3995wx/p/N82E16819113675?Description=PRO 3995WX&cm_re=PRO_3995WX-_-19-113-675-_-Product

Ram

https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-003Z-01AP5?Item=9SIA7S6FS86490

Heatsink (just like how it looks)
https://www.newegg.com/icesleet-x9/p/13C-00RE-00001?Item=9SIAT5SD3F3178
Power supply
https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-000N-002P3?Item=9SIAVT8EJN8673

35 minutes ago, emosun said:

Budget (including currency): depends somewhat if its worth it i'd like to be under 6-7k

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Compositing , small gaming , youtube

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

The gpu is optional as I can reused my current gtx 1060. I think I can also reuse my old sata ssd's/hard drives. But everything else needs replacing with the cpu/ram currently being my biggest uses.

Board

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/M12SWA-TF
Cpu

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3995wx/p/N82E16819113675?Description=PRO 3995WX&cm_re=PRO_3995WX-_-19-113-675-_-Product

Ram

https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-003Z-01AP5?Item=9SIA7S6FS86490

Heatsink (just like how it looks)
https://www.newegg.com/icesleet-x9/p/13C-00RE-00001?Item=9SIAT5SD3F3178
Power supply
https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-000N-002P3?Item=9SIAVT8EJN8673

With a budget that high there’s an argument for whatever the heck you want.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

With a budget that high there’s an argument for whatever the heck you want.

surprisingly not considering the cost of the cpu. I considered the 3975wx but it's almost 33% slower and idk if i'd be happy with it years from now vs the 3995wx

3 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I don’t know from PSUs but I’d want to see data on that cooler. 9 thin pipes in an unknown brand with that shroud worries me. Not all pipes are created equal.  Every shrouded air cooler I’ve seen so far has had performance problems.  May not provide enough cooling for the cpu chosen

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know from PSUs but I’d want to see data on that cooler. 9 thin pipes in an unknown brand with that shroud worries me. Not all pipes are created equal.  Every shrouded air cooler I’ve seen so far has had performance problems.  May not provide enough cooling for the cpu chosen

I think so too...

10 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I think so too...

I’m particularly worried because the pipes are thin and silver colored.  If they’re scored aluminum rather than scinterned nickel plated copper that thing may not have the power of even a 5 pipe cooler. 

I’m particularly worried because the pipes are thin and silver colored.  If they’re scored aluminum rather than scinterned nickel plated copper that thing may not have the power of even a 5 pipe cooler. 

On manufacturers site, It says fins are aluminum and base is copper, If pipes where also copper, I'm 100% sure it would be included in a specs. 

Screenshot_3.png

5 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

It looks good, But never heard of this brand 😄

U sure this is good cooler?

im gonna buy the cooler seeing as its the cheapest part in the build anyway , ill try it , and if its not enough ill buy a better one.

4 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

On manufacturers site, It says fins are aluminum and base is copper, If pipes where also copper, I'm 100% sure it would be included in a specs. 

Screenshot_3.png

The issue is afaik there are 3 kinds of internal wicking on heat pipes in increasing order of effectiveness; scoring, mesh, and scintered beads.  I have yet to see an aluminum pipe what wasn’t scored only.  To make it worse a lot of the aluminum pipes aren’t just merely scored, they’re badly scored.  Like rather than even cutting them they just drag a scraping tool through. Sometimes the scores don’t even go from one end to the other. Such pipes are not necessarily totally non functional exactly but they often have half the heat capacity or less.  There have been some very large 6 pipe coolers that looked like they should be in the big air catagory that were getting badly beat by 3 pipe 120mm towers.i don’t know what the metallurgical requirements are for scintering, but they may actually require copper for the process.  I don’t know. A test will tell what is needed though.  The thing could be good. 9is a lot of pipes.  It might be dangerous crap though.

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, emosun said:

im gonna buy the cooler seeing as its the cheapest part in the build anyway , ill try it , and if its not enough ill buy a better one.

If you wind up not using it, and there aren’t any independent reviews, if you can’t return it maybe sending it somewhere that a review could be done would be a mitzfah.  Iirc TechYesCity did some no-name cooler reviews.  It’s where I found out about that big cooler with poor cooling performance. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If you wind up not using it, and there aren’t any independent reviews, if you can’t return it maybe sending it somewhere that a review could be done would be a mitzfah.  Iirc TechYesCity did some no-name cooler reviews.  It’s where I found out about that big cooler with poor cooling performance. 

Well one thing that may be a large factor is I just run most fans at 100% at all times and im well aware thats not a common config but youd be surprised how well a low quality cooler can work with no regard for noise levels. Alot of these server boards even my current one dont use a dedicated cpu fan header on the board anyway as speed isnt really very important when most systems will just be running everything at max speed.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Well one thing that may be a large factor is I just run most fans at 100% at all times and im well aware thats not a common config but youd be surprised how well a low quality cooler can work with no regard for noise levels. Alot of these server boards even my current one dont use a dedicated cpu fan header on the board anyway as speed isnt really very important when most systems will just be running everything at max speed.

So it might work anyway even if it wouldn’t necessarily actually work in a non-server system.  Well there is that I guess.

So it might work anyway even if it wouldn’t necessarily actually work in a non-server system.  Well there is that I guess.

anything else i should consider

the board and cpu are a combo deal so i know those work together , the ram is on the boards tested sheet , the power supply has two 8pins for the board.... I think thats all I was concerned about

I'd consider and nvme or pci-e drive stick thing though ive never had to ever bother reasearching them before or even knowing if i'd even end up using it's speed over just using some sata drives I have. So I guess that'd be a good question to answer 

4 hours ago, emosun said:

anything else i should consider

the board and cpu are a combo deal so i know those work together , the ram is on the boards tested sheet , the power supply has two 8pins for the board.... I think thats all I was concerned about

I'd consider and nvme or pci-e drive stick thing though ive never had to ever bother reasearching them before or even knowing if i'd even end up using it's speed over just using some sata drives I have. So I guess that'd be a good question to answer 

Only if there is going to be a discrete video card (which I don’t see) that making sure there are enough cables from the PSU for that would also want to be a consideration.  If there isn’t one of course it doesn’t matter.  My memory is that threadripper doesn’t have any apus in it so some sort of video card will likely be needed.  Doesn’t have to be one that needs additional power cables though.  I don’t remember what the cable requirements are for a 1060.  I remember it needing something though.

Edited by Bombastinator

replacing a 12 year old system means pretty much a full clean new build, the technology has changed a lot since then and for sure with that budget you should consider looking at all drives been nvme M.2 drives. if your not doing serious gaming then you can get some good deals on Gen 3 or even newer Gen 4 drives,  i would recommend a 1TB high speed Gen 4 for Windows / operating system and then gen 3 or 4 2TB M.2 nvme drive for files, games, etc.  unless you want to just keep it super simple and have one drive, then a 2TB or more. you should be able to transfer important files, music, media from your old SATA drives onto the new drives once your up and running. 

a question, what form factor do you want for your build? something small / portable like m-itx or medium build with m-ATX or full on ATX.

look into a good monitor also worth upgrading, i recommend go for a 2k (1440p) 27" IPS as a minimum,.

use a large SSD external drive to backup your system and files. 

get a decent motherboard that has good quality on board sound, LAN, interfaces and chipset. 

air cooling is adequate for most applications if you have good case design, right amount and type of fans.   

there are so many variations, and with your budget you can build a really nice rig that should handle things smoothly. 

also always think about futureproofing,  hence a good motherboard now will last a long time and wont have to upgrade for a while. 

need some more feedback about the size of system you intend, colour scheme etc before i could compile a list. 

If you have the time and skill you can also design and build your own custom case. or spec one to be manufactured to your own requirements,. like a Parvum case. 

hope this helps. 

9 hours ago, emosun said:

I picked the coolermaster power supply becuase my current unit is a coolermaster 1000w and it seems to have survived the decade quite well so I'd thought I'd do the same thing again

I recommend getting any of PSU I linked, They are better in every way... 

2 hours ago, Fraya said:

replacing a 12 year old system means pretty much a full clean new build, the technology has changed a lot since then and for sure with that budget you should consider looking at all drives been nvme M.2 drives. if your not doing serious gaming then you can get some good deals on Gen 3 or even newer Gen 4 drives,  i would recommend a 1TB high speed Gen 4 for Windows / operating system and then gen 3 or 4 2TB M.2 nvme drive for files, games, etc.  unless you want to just keep it super simple and have one drive, then a 2TB or more. you should be able to transfer important files, music, media from your old SATA drives onto the new drives once your up and running. 

a question, what form factor do you want for your build? something small / portable like m-itx or medium build with m-ATX or full on ATX.

look into a good monitor also worth upgrading, i recommend go for a 2k (1440p) 27" IPS as a minimum,.

use a large SSD external drive to backup your system and files. 

get a decent motherboard that has good quality on board sound, LAN, interfaces and chipset. 

air cooling is adequate for most applications if you have good case design, right amount and type of fans.   

there are so many variations, and with your budget you can build a really nice rig that should handle things smoothly. 

also always think about futureproofing,  hence a good motherboard now will last a long time and wont have to upgrade for a while. 

need some more feedback about the size of system you intend, colour scheme etc before i could compile a list. 

If you have the time and skill you can also design and build your own custom case. or spec one to be manufactured to your own requirements,. like a Parvum case. 

hope this helps. 

a lot of what you asked was actually answered but not in the title of the thread unfortunately

2 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I recommend getting any of PSU I linked, They are better in every way... 

if I'm able to locate a reason for buying them i'll definitely consider them thanks

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Only if there is going to be a discrete video card (which I don’t see) that making sure there are enough cables from the PSU for that would also want to be a consideration.  If there isn’t one of course it doesn’t matter.  My memory is that threadripper doesn’t have any apus in it so some sort of video card will likely be needed.  Doesn’t have to be one that needs additional power cables though.  I don’t remember what the cable requirements are for a 1060.  I remember it needing something though.

i think my 1060 uses one or two 8pins or something like that which the psu should have

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

if I'm able to locate a reason for buying them i'll definitely consider them thanks

The units I linked have 10 or 12 years warranty, Cooler master one comes with only 2 year warranty if newegg is to be believed, As I remember cooler master PSUs had more than 2 year warranty, But newegg lists it as only 2 year 🤔 Have a look at it.