Budget Keyboard under RM200

Hello everyone I'm currently in the market for a keyboard to add to my setup.

It's the only missing thing right now.

I've already got a mouse and a headset so it seems apt to complete the trifecta.

My budget is MYR200 (roughly 50USD) 

Use case: 60% general typing 40% gaming

Switch: Probably Brown's or Red's, I'm not sure about this since this is my first time. 

Regional availability: Hit or miss, I'll have to check on Lazada or Shopee as these are the biggest E-Commerce platforms in Malaysia. 

One keyboard that I really had my eye on was the G.skill KM360 but unfortunately that's not in my region.

Other keyboards that I've been considering are:

Logitech K845

Cooler Master CK350

Cooler Master CK530 V2

Tecware Phantom 87

Redragon K552

Let me know of any suggestions you have and thanks in advance. 

Edited by Hassan170
removed the Royal Kludge 61 (RK61) because god forbid i have to live without arrow keyss

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

If you're going from membrane to mechanical, I vote reds.  I got Silent Red on mine, and I'm happy with that choice.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

If you're going from membrane to mechanical, I vote reds.  I got Silent Red on mine, and I'm happy with that choice.

Yeah but I want some tactile feedback, although I have been using the membrane keyboard on my HP 245 G7, I still list after the tacticility of my Dell XPS 15 L502X. 

Hence I might for browns or maybe some kind of reds that has some tactile feedback. 

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

1 hour ago, Hassan170 said:

Yeah but I want some tactile feedback, although I have been using the membrane keyboard on my HP 245 G7, I still list after the tacticility of my Dell XPS 15 L502X. 

Hence I might for browns or maybe some kind of reds that has some tactile feedback. 

Gateron browns will suit you well, they are almost like reds but have a little bump.

IDK how your supply or currency translates, but this is a great budget keyboard with RGB lighting. Or you can get the version with only white light and hotswap switches in case you decided to change your mind:

RGB
https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Backlight/dp/B08CNBNJNM

White/hotswap:

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Hot-swappable-Mechanical-Double-Shot-Tenkeyless/dp/B08SQHQFD7

They also have non-TKL versions.

You can also spend like $10 on any cherry-style keycaps and swap em out to how you like.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

11 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Gateron browns will suit you well, they are almost like reds but have a little bump.

IDK how your supply or currency translates, but this is a great budget keyboard with RGB lighting. Or you can get the version with only white light and hotswap switches in case you decided to change your mind:

RGB
https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Backlight/dp/B08CNBNJNM

White/hotswap:

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Hot-swappable-Mechanical-Double-Shot-Tenkeyless/dp/B08SQHQFD7

They also have non-TKL versions.

You can also spend like $10 on any cherry-style keycaps and swap em out to how you like.

Hotswap means I can change out the switches right? 

Also they are indeed available in my region but they're mostly blues and about 10USD over my budget (I'm willing to overlook that) 

Should I go for the gateron browns or the hotswap blues and change out the switches at a later time? 

2 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

Hotswap means I can change out the switches right? 

Also they are indeed available in my region but they're mostly blues and about 10USD over my budget (I'm willing to overlook that) 

Should I go for the gateron browns or the hotswap blues and change out the switches at a later time? 

Yes, you can swap them to any cherry-like key.

I would get the browns or the reds. I have gateron browns and my wife has gateron reds. We also have cherry reds. I like the gaterons better than the cherries. I have tried blues before, and since you mentioned you want tactile, they will offer that. They're just a bit loud and need a tiny bit more activation force.

That said, the ability to hotswap is nice. At that price point, you're stuck with white LED, but you can get colored keycaps cheaply to still customize color.

I have a cheap Velocifire TKL with outemu browns and white LED backlighting for my work PC. with some new PBT keycaps, it looks and feels much nicer.

Ignore the hand cheese 🤣

430001626_cheapkeyboard.thumb.png.c8dcf5c7eaa8ddcf05990be1b281c99a.png

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Yes, you can swap them to any cherry-like key.

I would get the browns or the reds. I have gateron browns and my wife has gateron reds. We also have cherry reds. I like the gaterons better than the cherries. I have tried blues before, and since you mentioned you want tactile, they will offer that. They're just a bit loud and need a tiny bit more activation force.

That said, the ability to hotswap is nice. At that price point, you're stuck with white LED, but you can get colored keycaps cheaply to still customize color.

Hmmm, I do like the sound of being able to hotswap my switches at a later time.... 

Yeah I'm in college and doing it online so blues are a no go. 

After compiling my options it comes down to Brown's vs Red's 

They're both the same price at MYR255 or 63USD

Do the red have some tactility? Or are they smooth? 

Just now, Hassan170 said:

Hmmm, I do like the sound of being able to hotswap my switches at a later time.... 

Yeah I'm in college and doing it online so blues are a no go. 

After compiling my options it comes down to Brown's vs Red's 

They're both the same price at MYR255 or 63USD

Do the red have some tactility? Or are they smooth? 

Red are smooth and have no real tactility. Gateron reds are a bit smoother than cherry reds. Gateron switches are generally less expensive; however take note that here in the states, it costs me about $35 to get a 90pc kit. If you are on a budget and buying a keyboard with the expectation to replace the keycaps at the start, I would consider other optiosn first. It's a waste if you aren't going to use them. 

If the cost for browns are only slightly more, it's better to buy the one with the correct caps first instead of having switches you won't use and replace later.

Redragon makes some good stuff like you mentioned; my daughter had one of the rainbow RGB keyboards and it was fine. Note you can also replace the keycaps making them look nicer. They have the standard bottom row.

30 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Red are smooth and have no real tactility. Gateron reds are a bit smoother than cherry reds. Gateron switches are generally less expensive; however take note that here in the states, it costs me about $35 to get a 90pc kit. If you are on a budget and buying a keyboard with the expectation to replace the keycaps at the start, I would consider other optiosn first. It's a waste if you aren't going to use them. 

If the cost for browns are only slightly more, it's better to buy the one with the correct caps first instead of having switches you won't use and replace later.

Redragon makes some good stuff like you mentioned; my daughter had one of the rainbow RGB keyboards and it was fine. Note you can also replace the keycaps making them look nicer. They have the standard bottom row.

Hmmmm what about the other keyboards I listed? Are any of them any good? 

I'll keep that in mind especially since the Redragon is one of the cheapest on that list. 

What about the RK61? It's wireless which is a nice bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

Hmmmm what about the other keyboards I listed? Are any of them any good? 

I'll keep that in mind especially since the Redragon is one of the cheapest on that list. 

What about the RK61? It's wireless which is a nice bonus. 

Of those, I've only some experience with Logitech keyboards and the Redragon. Logitech keyboards are usually pretty expensive and the ones I had used Romer-G's which were terrible. They also use pretty flimsy keycaps that break easily.

Redragon is solid for the price. I think they use Outemu switches, which from my experience are superior to Romer-G and also I think even Cherry MX. 

The Velocifire keyboard I posted earlier has Outemu browns, and they are pretty nice, if not a bit heavy and thocky. But then again some people go for that. They aren't very loud.

That tecware looks good. I have some tecware keycaps which are pretty decent.

That tecware looks pretty good tbh lol....i might get one. Seems it's modular with hot swappable switches too. And I like outemu browns.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, I._.T said:

Tecware Phantom, This Keyboards looks pretty good 

Amazon.com: Tecware Phantom 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard, RGB led, Outemu Brown Switch : Electronics

It looks like a really good deal. Might grab one.

22 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

It looks like a really good deal. Might grab one.

welp i might get one as well