Alll-in one Home Ambient PC / Mac and Media server with Fiber Optics

Budget (including currency): OPEN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  VR, Steam games and Console

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Open and will be building soon

Hey all,

I'm asking for a quick recommendation from you and I know this is a long shot and hoping for a reply from you.

I'm inspired by your fiber optics solution to centralisd server. Would you be able to help me what solution would be appropriate for the following setup? Specially for me to be able to run the cable and ability to switch to different things at the same time? If it means multiple corning thunderbolt cable, thats fine too. or KVM switch or hub. It would be great to get your tips as i will be building the house from ground up and setting up the first ever ambient computer setup.

Centralised Server

• Media Server
  • Centralised Apple TVs
  • Security Surveillance and Storage
  • Centralised 10-in-1 gaming PC
  • Centralised Macbook Pro

Theatre room

• Connect Projector to Centralised 10-in-1 Gaming PC with VR games or standard gaming
  • Connect Projector to Centralised Media server for Movies
  • Connect Projector to Centralised Apple TV

Office, Study and Bedrooms

• Connect Monitor to Centralised Macbook Pro or other Macs
  • Connect Monitor to Centralised 10-in-1 Gaming PC
  • Connect Monitor to Centralised Media server for Movies
  • Connect Monitor to Centralised Apple TV

On each spot, ideally, if we can run simultenously and also switch between these devices like switching input device, would be fantastic. Budget is no problem for us as we're even looking for 15 Tesla batteries to power our home with solars for off-grid ;)

This is sad. No reply here? Bumping this up. I need help for this build. I know this isnt standard but the like usual LTT content. I’m building the extreme solution.

Use a wired / wireless LAN based solution. It means putting a little more intelligence at the end points, but not that much.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thats just poor. I’m not sure if you get what i’m trying to do. The computer will be places over 20 metres away from monitor, mouse, and keyboard and combined with the standard media server.

i saw linus tried fiber optics options. Can anyone from Linus team reply. This area is relatively new and i’d love to spend time and energy to this. Budget is open and i know i’m spending over 100K for my house media solutions.

I don't think you appreciate that the UI complexity to handle switching as described far outweighs the benefit. Besides, most of what you want is easily handle by the solution described. Even gaming can be handled with existing IP tech.

Any link or product that you can refer? Can you out the computer 20-40meters away and control using a monitor on the other room easily without lags and play game?

The architecture I am suggesting would use lightweight PC supporting i/o devices (monitor, kbd, etc.) and stream link software; https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-steam-link-alternative/ for gaming.

Same lightweight PC can also access remote media services. Smart TV may also prove useful for this.

Thanks Brob. 

any other recommendations with high 10 - 40gbps or fiber optic like solution? I want no compromise and not wireless as the house will be filled with a lot of IoT and automation.