RTX 2060 Super FE Fan Rev Issue

Go to solution Solved by mistermoonlite,

Update: After contacting Nvidia support, the card is being RMA’d

I’ve been struggling to figure out how to solve this issue. I have a RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition and while playing almost any game, it revs up to 100% fan usage for a few seconds and then back down.

Happens every so often but I can seem to figure out how to fix it. I wouldn’t mind it ramping up if it was a bit more gradual. 

How do I troubleshoot this? Video attached.

Fans react to temps. If the fans are spiking then the temps are likely doing the same.

Have you monitored fan speed and temps at the same time?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

If it was me, i'd need some visibility in what the GPU is doing overall while the fans do that. Multiple ways to go about this, personally I use HWInfo's graphs permanently up on a third monitor for various system monitoring with one column specifically for GPU statistics. 

For example. The 2nd and 3rd up from the bottom are both of my GPU's fans and I can just look down this whole stack of graphs to see if temp/clockspeed/power draw correlate to what I see in the fan speed. I'm idling so they're both off at the moment, hence the 0%.

image.png.481ed9bd360e27de09d16e2451b50031.png

Used HWiNFO and looks like its possibly related to GPU Core Load. I was playing Destiny to get it to trigger, but it also looks like it's only effecting 1 of the fans. There are times that the Core Load will only be 84%~ and the fans will ramp up to max again anyway. This never happens outside of a game as well.

Gameplay-02 was the character standing idle as well, which I felt was odd.

Is Fan 1 ramping up because its closer to the GPU chipset? or is possible there is something wrong with it? I can try again and see if maybe there are other aspects of the card that are ramping up that require only one fan to go faster than the other.

destiny-gameplay-02.png

destiny-gameplay-01.png

Your fans are definitely doing some wonky stuff. The card is also getting somewhat hot if its topping out near 80c. 

In those images, the graph scale for your GPU fans are set with two different scales so it makes it a little weird to read. On the right hand side of each graph, the number in the middle is the current reading while the number in the top right is the graph maximum. If you set those both to say 3000 it'll make it all a little more uniform to read, if that makes sense.

That being said, from what I'm seeing both fans are kinda doing their own thing. Fan 2 is running seemingly normally but Fan 1 is, at least according to HWInfo, doing some odd spikes up to past 4500RPM. I almost wonder if there is some kind of hardware malfunction with the fan controller on the card? 

Maybe start with a DDU driver wipe and reinstall?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking my next step is. I have two more images that show what was happening during a bit of gameplay in New World today. Hopefully these numbers make it a bit easier to read. Only this time, I almost see no correlation to anything else being tracked.

Gonna try the DDU driver wipe

newworld-gameplay-01.png

newworld-gameplay-02.png

One fan spiking like that for no obvious reason.. I'd be curious what others think but my gut is telling me there is a problem with the fan controller on the card. Clearly they both want to run around ~2300-2400RPM under normal load conditions but that one is clearly ramping up and back down. Is what you're hearing matching up to those clear spikes?

Yep! Every time one of those spikes happens I hear the fans kick up like in the video. I don’t see a performance dip in the game but it’s really annoying and frustrating when it happens

Used DDU Uninstaller this morning, reinstalled new drivers and problem still persists. New World definitely makes it happen more often than Destiny does, but still can't pinpoint what is causing it in the first place.