PCIe screws are "spanned out" - Is it bad for the GPU?

MyLittleFella

Actually, it is a case problem. The screws don't get tight anymore and one of the two used by my GPU is "spinning in false" (Sorry, I don't know the proper english terms).

Is this bad for the GPU? I'll be assembling a new PC soon and I didn't wanted to get a new case as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

I don't think it's anything bad for the graphics card, but it might be somewhat fatal to the PCIE slot. the graphics card, however, may gradually slide out. Since your GPU is a large GTX card, unlike my flimsy Quadro, I strongly recommend getting a new, better case. 

3 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

Actually, it is a case problem. The screws don't get tight anymore and one of the two used by my GPU is "spinning in false" (Sorry, I don't know the proper english terms).

Is this bad for the GPU? I'll be assembling a new PC soon and I didn't wanted to get a new case as well.

I think you mean the term is "stripped"? 

What is stripped exactly?  The top of the screw?  The screw's threads? Or the PCIE bracket that the screw actually screws into on the case itself?

If it's one of the first two, just use a different screw from a different section of the case.  If it's the slot bracket hole itself, well.....how the hell did you strip THAT?  That's almost impossible to strip unless you overturn like an obsessive OCD person.  The only way that can strip is if the the screw is actually installed at an angle, incorrectly, instead of straight down.  Installing at an angle is almost always user error, from not (very gently) tilting the video card at the back to make sure the hole is aligned perfectly.  (On some cases, it's slightly misaligned at stock, then all you have to do is make sure the screw goes directly into the threads as it was machined).

I think he meant that out of the 2 screws which hold graphics card onto chasis one of them can not tightned up due to broken/damaged screw hole.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

8 hours ago, frozensun said:

I think he meant that out of the 2 screws which hold graphics card onto chasis one of them can not tightned up due to broken/damaged screw hole.

this!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

19 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

I think you mean the term is "stripped"? 

What is stripped exactly?  The top of the screw?  The screw's threads? Or the PCIE bracket that the screw actually screws into on the case itself?

If it's one of the first two, just use a different screw from a different section of the case.  If it's the slot bracket hole itself, well.....how the hell did you strip THAT?  That's almost impossible to strip unless you overturn like an obsessive OCD person.  The only way that can strip is if the the screw is actually installed at an angle, incorrectly, instead of straight down.  Installing at an angle is almost always user error, from not (very gently) tilting the video card at the back to make sure the hole is aligned perfectly.  (On some cases, it's slightly misaligned at stock, then all you have to do is make sure the screw goes directly into the threads as it was machined).

Yeah, the screw's threads doesn't really "tight up" anymore, you know?

Everything else is ok

4 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

Yeah, the screw's threads doesn't really "tight up" anymore, you know?

Everything else is ok

Did you swap screws around and determine if it's the hole that's stripped?  If the screw that wasn't 'connecting' works in another hole, then the hole's done for.
Sorry, that's the limit of my knowledge.  I know nothing about machining.

If you could do a video or picture what happened it would help us a lot.

If the screw hole is missing/damaged I don't think you can do much about it,the screw is "going" in endless loop.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.