Slow down issues with 5900x

Alynoser

I'm having a weird issue with my new 5900x where it will go from being fast and responsive, then all of a sudden it will take like 15+ seconds just to open a file explorer and each click between folders taking awhile. I was thinking it might have been a weird process taking over the cpu but whenever i look at task manager its usually never above 20%.

EDIT: I also am on the current bios revision

In case it helps, here is my computer specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x running at stock

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB

EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID

Boot Drive is a Sabrent 1tb Rocket NVME PCIe gen 3 m.2

If Task Manager doesn't show high CPU load and you don't hear the fans ramp up, then I suspect it's not a CPU issue. I'd check the disk(s), since you say clicking around in file manager is slow. This sound primarily like an I/O issue then. What about RAM usage, anything unusual there? PC starting to swap might behave similar, but it seems unlikely with 32 GB of RAM.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Eigenvektor I did check with crystal disk info to see if any of my drives where starting to have problems and it reported back that they were all 100%. Now for ram usage, there is a lot running passively in the background so there is always about 10gb of ram being used. That right there is what im expecting is the source of the slow down, but it also didnt happen on my 7700k system that i just upgraded from, so i have a hard time believing that

edit: i also realize that it could be that ryzen does better with 3600 mhz ram, but i dont feel like that would account for just how often this happens

25 minutes ago, Alynoser said:

Now for ram usage, there is a lot running passively in the background so there is always about 10gb of ram being used.

On a system with 32 GB of RAM, 10 GB being used shouldn't be an issue. Any processes with sudden spikes in disk usage or anything, maybe?

25 minutes ago, Alynoser said:

edit: i also realize that it could be that ryzen does better with 3600 mhz ram, but i dont feel like that would account for just how often this happens

That's somewhat true for older Ryzens, but Zen 3 isn't as sensitive. It can make a few percent performance difference in games and CPU intensive apps. But it should make no noticeable difference in normal usage or cause a laggy desktop. So I don't think that's really it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply