Media Server Suggestions?

caleb1

Looking for suggestions as to a good media server program to view video files from my PC when not in the house.  Ideally with a free base version even if it is slightly restricted.

I have been using plex for a while, it is ok but I am not fully happy with it.

I would like to find one that allows me to share folders or groups of videos with others, so they can view them from my server, but WITHOUT the receiver of the share to need to create an account. (plex had sharing but all parties involved had to have a plex account.)

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to a good media server application that would have this ability?  What are you guys using?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Looking for suggestions as to a good media server program to view video files from my PC when not in the house.  Ideally with a free base version even if it is slightly restricted.

I have been using plex for a while, it is ok but I am not fully happy with it.

I would like to find one that allows me to share folders or groups of videos with others, so they can view them from my server, but WITHOUT the receiver of the share to need to create an account. (plex had sharing but all parties involved had to have a plex account.)

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to a good media server application that would have this ability?  What are you guys using?

Thanks.

Sounds like something VLC would do.  I don’t know if it does though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like something VLC would do.  I don’t know if it does though.

Thanks for the reply.  I looked into VLC, that is not exactly what I am looking for.

VLC seems to allow select a file on the source pc to play, and then stream it to play it on another PC.

I am looking for a system that allows me to browse and select videos and photos in certain folders remotely, and play them.  And also be able to share to others so they can view them online any time and download them.

VLC seems to require that something is done on the host PC whenever something needs to be streamed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I looked into VLC, that is not exactly what I am looking for.

VLC seems to allow select a file on the source pc to play, and then stream it to play it on another PC.

I am looking for a system that allows me to browse and select videos and photos in certain folders remotely, and play them.  And also be able to share to others so they can view them online any time and download them.

VLC seems to require that something is done on the host PC whenever something needs to be streamed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

So some sort of server then that serves files regardless of contents, but with some sort of player as well.  Sounds like it won’t be a single app solution

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So some sort of server then that serves files regardless of contents, but with some sort of player as well.  Sounds like it won’t be a single app solution

Plex is a single app solution that does just this.  I am basically looking for something like plex that allows me to share folders on my server to others for their viewing without them needing to have an account.

For clarification, all the files will be media files.