Deciding PSU specs

Vitor_Curado
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Most of this will depend on what GPU you plan on getting. Since you said you're planning on going 40 series when it releases, I'm going to assume power requirements will be about 10% higher than 30 series, though it can either be less (as with the 10 series) or more (as with the 30 series). 

If you're going with the 60 series card, anything above 750w isn't really necessary. If you're going for the 70 series card, anything above an 850w probably isn't necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Vitor_Curado said:

Does the idea of buying a 1,500W sound crazy? Let's say, if I ever need to upgrade again after, I shouldn't worry about replacing the PSU for a long long time, or is this a bad idea in reality?

It's usually pretty expensive, and by the time parts will probably use that much power, the PSU will be 10 years old, and you'll probably want a new PSU anyway for reliability sake. If you want to go down the super high wattage route, I'd probably draw the line somewhere around 1000 to 1200w. Much more than that probably won't be utilized and will more than likely just end up being wasted money, especially since PSUs above 1000w go up in price exponentially.

Budget (including currency): $1,000CDN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Visual Studio(priority) | when I get a GPU, I'll also use: Odyssey, Cyberpunk, Mass Effect, RPG and campaign games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi I'm building a new computer and I already got these parts: 

- MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

- Ryzen 7 5700G

- AMD cooler included with CPU

- Phanteks P500A RGB

- 32GB 3200MHz HyperX Fury

- 1TB SSD

- PSU?

I'm planning to program during the day and game during the weekends. 

I plan on getting a 4000 series Nvidia graphics cards a little after it launches next year and I wanted a titanium certified PSU, although I don't know if that's overkill. I need it to work with this build of mine while I don't have the GPU in hands. 

How much margin should I get for my PSU to be chill and silent? 40%? 50%? 30%? I dunno. 

Does the idea of buying a 1,500W sound crazy? Let's say, if I ever need to upgrade again after, I shouldn't worry about replacing the PSU for a long long time, or is this a bad idea in reality?

Ultimately, how many watts do you think I should get and which certification? 

Thank you for your answers, 

Vitor,

Programmer

Most of this will depend on what GPU you plan on getting. Since you said you're planning on going 40 series when it releases, I'm going to assume power requirements will be about 10% higher than 30 series, though it can either be less (as with the 10 series) or more (as with the 30 series). 

If you're going with the 60 series card, anything above 750w isn't really necessary. If you're going for the 70 series card, anything above an 850w probably isn't necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Vitor_Curado said:

It's usually pretty expensive, and by the time parts will probably use that much power, the PSU will be 10 years old, and you'll probably want a new PSU anyway for reliability sake. If you want to go down the super high wattage route, I'd probably draw the line somewhere around 1000 to 1200w. Much more than that probably won't be utilized and will more than likely just end up being wasted money, especially since PSUs above 1000w go up in price exponentially.

1 minute ago, Vitor_Curado said:

Does the idea of buying a 1,500W sound crazy?

YES.

There are no specs available for the next gen Nvidia GPU. So power requirements are pure guess work. Made especially complicated by the expectation that the chip may use a 5nm process. I'd suggest sizing the PSU based on current RTX 3000 requirements. At the high end an 850W PSU should be more than enough.

Is power so expensive in your locale that the price premium of an 80+ Titanium PSU is justified over that of a quality 80+ Gold? I suspect not.

Consider an aftermarket cpu cooler. While the cpu has a 65W TDP, Noctua suggests a higher end cooler for maximum turbo / overclocking. Consider something like the NH-U12A or NH-D15S.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

31 minutes ago, Vitor_Curado said:

Let's say, if I ever need to upgrade again after, I shouldn't worry about replacing the PSU for a long long time, or is this a bad idea in reality?

1000w 80+ Gold is the safest bet. You could probably get away with 850W though as long as you don't go for the highest end GPU's. Typically, the estimated wattage on PcPartPicker *1.5 is a safe bet for the amount of PSU you need.

So you want a $550 ( $700 CAD) PSU for a 5700G plus a 4xxx series GPU?

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-ST1500-TI-Titanium-SST-ST1500-TI-X/dp/B09235XTKH/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=1500w+psu&qid=1632332895&sr=8-5

Do you understand how to measure PSU needs?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Hi people, yes, 1500W is crazy I got it. 

I saw some of you say 1000W, some say 850W and I think both are reasonable

Now, I was thinking of going 1000W because I might get a high end GPU and because silence matters to me, does that sound ok?

Edited by Vitor_Curado

Gamer nexus videos might be the place to go not sure if they offer in depth PSU reviews as I tend to use their videos to put me to sleep. 💤

Assume you need 3 8 pin PCIe connectors individual cables not daisy chained. That uses up 450W allow 200W for the rest that is 750W divide by 0.8 for an 80% rated PSU and you might need to look at 1000W maximum.

850W is probably what highly experience builders would pair with your set up.

8 hours ago, Vitor_Curado said:

Hi people, yes, 1500W is crazy I got it. 

I saw some of you say 1000W, some say 850W and I think both are reasonable

Now, I was thinking of going 1000W because I might get a high end GPU and because silence matters to me, does that sound ok?

No. 1000W is nuts. 850W is also nuts. You are buying a  mid to low end cpu. Putting it in a not great motherboard. There is no way you are going to spend on a high end GPU before your motherboard and cpu are outdated.

If you want a quiet system get a quiet PSU like the Corsair RMX or Seasonic GX models. I would suggest a 650W model. Get a B550 motherboard so you won't have the noise of a tiny chipset fan. And, get an aftermarket cpu cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.