CPU Bottleneck after GPU Upgrade

Agorax

Hello Tech Tips community! I hope this is the appropriate forum for this.

I recently upgraded my GPU from a gtx770 to a rtx3070 - naively thinking this would fix all performance issues. Well, I still can't play Cyberpunk above 20 fps on low settings, so mission failed. It seems to me like my CPU is the issue now (see system details below). The taskmanager brings me to this assumption, because the CPU works at 100% while the GPU never reaches more than 8%.

The reason I am posting is, that I want to discuss my options. Can I get away with a CPU upgrade with the current socket? Do I need to switch motherboard and CPU? Anything else I can do? 

Budget (including currency): not set yet, €

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Red Dead 2, Pathfinder WotR (yes, it even struggles with that on high settings)

Other details:

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43

CPU: AMD FX-6300

RAM: 16GB DDR3 800MHz

GPU: Gigabyte RTX3070 GV-N3070EAGLE OC R2.0

Power Supply: Cooler Master rs-600-acab-d3

Monitor: 1440p, 144Hz

If any other details are needed, I will do my best to look them up.

6 minutes ago, Agorax said:

AMD FX-6300

That CPU is 100% the bottleneck. That was a VERY low end CPU in 2012 @Agorax to begin with. It just doesn't hold up anymore with CPU intensive games nowadays.

Need to change your CPU, motherboard AND RAM.

Your GPU is fine but your CPU and the RAM have you caught behind a fence.  If possible, without upgrading the whole system, see if you can get your hands on something like an FX8350 or an FX8370.  Before I upgraded to the Ryzen that I have now I used an AMD FX8370 with a 7770 GPU.  The ram I had at the time was 2166 so that is quite a difference from what you are using now too.  So, in a nutshell, it is the CPU and the RAM that is really hurting you.  With the system I had, I was able to run World of Warcraft without any problems at all including the mods from Zygor and Twitch (Overwolf now).  Good Luck.

3 minutes ago, Agorax said:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

I think this is your main bottleneck here even with a gtx 770 xD

Absolute max voltage 1.7v (following my rule of thumb which is highest xoc volt -0.3v = "safe" xoc volt that i found is 2.064v from 8.6ghz fx 8350), likely max voltage that you can actually run ~1.5v

Stick to the lower value cause these fx cpus get very very hot

For now overclock your fx till it cant no more, i suggest under 80c but since its ewaste just go 95c or as high as it will go till unstable

This will help alliviate the bottleneck somewhat while you wait for your upgrade

Since idk your budget id suggest going for a 10400(f) + cheap b560 (avoid asus prime cause garb vrms) + 16gb (8x2 dual channel) 3200mhz cl16 rams

This kind of combo costs around 350$ if you are basing it around us pricing just to give an idea of what it should cost around

Thanks for all your advice so far! 
@gal-m pretty lights wont be necessary

2 hours ago, Agorax said:

Power Supply: Cooler Master rs-600-acab-d3

replace this while you're at it, this was crap even when it was first released.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W