Modern mechanical keyboard for coding / sysadmin work?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for mechanical keyboard recommendations.

I'm a sysadmin by day, so don't want a 10keyless, as I type a lot of IP addresses and a numpad is great for that. I also do a lot of coding in my spare time, and I don't know much about key switches or keycaps, so would appreciate if someone could explain what type would be best for long coding sessions.

I would like it to be wireless with USB-C charging if possible (willing to compromise on that though if there's an outstanding keyboard that doesn't have it). Backlit keyboards preferred but optional. RGB could be tolerated but certainly isn't needed.

I don't do much gaming, and what little I do is very casual, so I don't need a "gaming" keyboard. I currently have a Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2013. It's... ok. Not ideal. Would prefer something sleeker, a bit more stylish, modern, less gamery, but I'm struggling to find anything with a numpad.

I like the look of the DROP keyboards. Thought for a while I'd get the SHIFT, but it doesn't have a lot of the keys you use often in code, or if it does, they're not on the bottom row where they should be.

Can anyone recommend a perfect keyboard for me?

Hi, fellow sysadmin here.

I myself use the Keychron K4. It is a compact USB-C and Bluetooth Keyboard which still has a numpad on it. I use this Keyboard for gaming and also for work. I really love it. I got the non hot-swappable with Red switches. I would recommend to put O-rings onto the keycaps to dampen the sound a bit and also to get a wrist rest

Thanks for the recommendation. The Keychron K4 looks pretty good. The only thing that's a bit weird is the location of the \ key. It's not on the bottom row next to Z where it usually would be. It's up under the backspace key. I might be able to get used to that, though.

How are the Red switches? Did you try others before settling on Red?

1 hour ago, lloydsmart said:

The only thing that's a bit weird is the location of the \ key. It's not on the bottom row next to Z where it usually would be.

That's an ANSI layout, you seem to be looking for an ISO layout keyboard.

I really like my Mountain Everest Max, not wireless though. Went for blue switches, I like clicky.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hmm ok, not sure if I need an ANSI or ISO layout, or what I have now tbh.

I'm in the UK if that helps. Both my Razer keyboard and my Lenovo Thinkpad have a key next to Z with \ and | on it.

Oooo, the Mountain Everest Max looks pretty nice! Maybe I don't need wireless... hmm...

On 9/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, lloydsmart said:

Hmm ok, not sure if I need an ANSI or ISO layout, or what I have now tbh.

I'm in the UK if that helps. Both my Razer keyboard and my Lenovo Thinkpad have a key next to Z with \ and | on it.

Oooo, the Mountain Everest Max looks pretty nice! Maybe I don't need wireless... hmm...

If you're going with the Everest, I recommend MX Brown keys. I am a book editor and do a lot of typing across the keyboard, including the numpad. I didn't like MX Red as much as the slight tactile of Brown. Brown has a bit of sound/clicky but not like a Blue.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

Since this is very personal and obviously some people will like the exact opposite of what you do... best is to get one of those sampler key sets to try for yourself. It's not as good as having a full keyboard to try but it already gives an idea.

I was actually hesitating between brown and blue, ended up ordering brown, but there was some delivery snafu and until that got sorted the browns were out of stock so I went with blue... and I'm happy, would probably have regretted the browns in the end. 

...but one cool thing is you can always change them later too 🙂

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok cool thanks for the advice everyone.

I've ordered a sample set so I can try the different keys out. From what I've read I reckon I'll want brown or blue, but will see how they feel.

Still undecided on what board to get.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while, but just so I don't leave you hanging I can confirm that I eventually went with the Keychron K4 (with ISO layout and UK keys) and Gateron Blue switches.

I've had it for about a week and am loving it so far. Been using it for work and some light gaming (Factorio). Bluetooth works well on my Windows laptop, but is a bit quirky with Linux for some reason, so I'm using it cabled on my Linux PC.

My only gripe with it so far is that it sits quite high off the desk. This isn't a problem, but means you really do need a wrist-rest. I've got an old one but it's full size so looks a bit silly next to a compact keyboard. Official Keychron ones are kinda pricy so I'm on the lookout for a smaller wrist rest that fits with the K4 and isn't expensive.

My typing speed is now the highest it's ever been (about 105 wpm) and overall the K4 is very comfortable. Would highly recommend this board and these keys.