Display port versions

Chrislandry238
Go to solution Solved by Chrislandry238,
1 minute ago, rickeo said:

Of course it will. I think you might have misinterpreted the point of my comment, I just thought it was an interesting fact. 

So the monitor having a lower display port version want interfere with performance ? 

So wierd question, I have an Asus pg278q 144hz monitor for 1440p display and had it hooked up to  1080 ti, I have upgraded to a 3080 ti now, will the port on the.monitor being display port ver 1.2 vs the GPU being 1.4 matter at all in gaming ? 

5 minutes ago, Chrislandry238 said:

So wierd question, I have an Asus pg278q 144hz monitor for 1440p display and had it hooked up to  1080 ti, I have upgraded to a 3080 ti now, will the port on the.monitor being display port ver 1.2 vs the GPU being 1.4 matter at all in gaming ? 

It won't affect anything, because 1.4 has a higher maximum bandwidth than 1.2, so it shouldn't be any problems at all.

1 minute ago, radoncombe said:

1.4 cables are backwards compatible with 1.2 devices.

Fun fact, DisplayPort has no cable versions, all cables will work with any version of DisplayPort. 

10 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Fun fact, DisplayPort has no cable versions, all cables will work with any version of DisplayPort. 

Either way it should work.

It's just a cable, I don't need to be told that there is no cable version.

4 minutes ago, radoncombe said:

Either way it should work.

It's just a cable, I don't need to be told that there is no cable version.

Of course it will. I think you might have misinterpreted the point of my comment, I just thought it was an interesting fact. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

So the monitor having a lower display port version want interfere with performance ? 

40 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

It won't affect anything, because 1.4 has a higher maximum bandwidth than 1.2, so it shouldn't be any problems at all.

I'm confused so even tho the port on my monitor is only 1.2 but the output from my GPU is 1.4 won't effect performance viewing on the monitor

1 hour ago, Chrislandry238 said:

I'm confused so even tho the port on my monitor is only 1.2 but the output from my GPU is 1.4 won't effect performance viewing on the monitor

Pinned thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP

Read the "Compatibility" section.

21 hours ago, Chrislandry238 said:

Yeah it's not gonna have any problems, that's the bottom line.