PC/GPU crashing when exiting high load programs

Animator_Alex

I have been having this issue for a few months now where if I play a demanding game or run a benchmark for about 5 mins and then exit out, my entire PC will crash and reboot. I have narrowed it down to either the CPU or the motherboard being the cause of the issue since I have replaced the PSU and the RAM and that didnt help, and I tried the GPU in another PC and it worked fine. The only thing that has mitigated the issue is setting the GPU to prefer maximum performance in the NVCP however this doesn't always fix the issue. It seems to only happen when the GPU drops clock speed quickly down to idle clocks. Does anyone know if the CPU or the Motherboard is more likely to be causing this issue?

My specs are

RTX 3080 FE

Ryzen 3800X

ASUS X570-E Gaming

16GB DDR4 RAM

Corsair RM850X

Wait… you tried a different video card and it did or did not exhibit the same behavior?  Because if it “worked fine” it’s sounds like a video card issue.  The test would be to put your card in a known good machine and see if it bungs up.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Wait… you tried a different video card and it did or did not exhibit the same behavior?  Because if it “worked fine” it’s sounds like a video card issue.  The test would be to put your card in a known good machine and see if it bungs up.

I tried my current 3080 thats crashing in another PC and it didn't crash. I did try a 2060 in my PC thats crashing and it also didnt crash. Granted it is way lower power than the 3080 and the crashing seems to have something to do with the power draw.

5 minutes ago, Animator_Alex said:

I tried my current 3080 thats crashing in another PC and it didn't crash. I did try a 2060 in my PC thats crashing and it also didnt crash. Granted it is way lower power than the 3080 and the crashing seems to have something to do with the power draw.

Clarified.  You might have an issue where one thing is barely in spec and another thing is barely in spec but together they make a mess.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Clarified.  You might have an issue where one thing is barely in spec and another thing is barely in spec but together they make a mess.

Any clue on what may be the 2 things? Should I just be looking to replace both the CPU and the motherboard? Is there any chance that it could be the GPU?

Just now, Animator_Alex said:

Any clue on what may be the 2 things? Should I just be looking to replace both the CPU and the motherboard? Is there any chance that it could be the GPU?

A small chance if it’s the gpu and something else.  My move would be to try the motherboard or the gpu, whichever is cheaper (probably the motherboard) and see what happens.  Or you could just RMA them both if it’s close to bingo time.  One will likely come back as “this is fine” 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

A small chance if it’s the gpu and something else.  My move would be to try the motherboard or the gpu, whichever is cheaper (probably the motherboard) and see what happens.  Or you could just RMA them both if it’s close to bingo time.  One will likely come back as “this is fine” 

Ok so quick update. If I run the fans at 100% on the 3080 while running the Haven benchmark, which used to crash every time when I exit, it doesn't crash at all. However my GPU is only running at 80c when at stock fan speeds. Does this indicate that there may be a problem with the GPU? Is it overheating? 

3 minutes ago, Animator_Alex said:

Ok so quick update. If I run the fans at 100% on the 3080 while running the Haven benchmark, which used to crash every time when I exit, it doesn't crash at all. However my GPU is only running at 80c when at stock fan speeds. Does this indicate that there may be a problem with the GPU? Is it overheating? 

Sounds like it.  Or it’s within spec and you’re just not allowing it to cool as much as it wants.  Might also indicate hot case in the gpu area.  GPUs generally have cooler max levels than cpus. Sometimes as low as 70c

Edited by Bombastinator