Very High CPU Temps

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

It says right in the video that the temperatures were taken in a room with 21C ambient temps. So 7-11C lower than your situation. If you add that to the 71C Steve got, you get average temps comparable to yours: 78-82C

If you look at 4:50, you can see Cinebench temps shown as ~65C. So again, if you account for the temperature difference, it's in line with your stock result.

As for why your 3900XT ran cooler, if I recall correctly, the XT chips have better silicon than the originals. AMD said they were the result of optimizing the 7nm process, and they typically ran with lower voltages than the originals, which means lower power consumption and thus better thermals.

And every chip has some variance. There's a chance that you really won the silicon lottery on your particular 3900XT, and it can run cooler than usual, while maybe you weren't as lucky with your 5900X. Although again, when you look at Steve's numbers, yours are comparable.

My 5900X cooled with a Scythe Fuma 2 runs about 55C over ambient in a productivity workload like Cinebench, so in your heat, that's 83-88C. Your AIO is doing 8C better, which is a solid result in line with what I'd expect for a 360mm.

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded to a 5900x and did a ton of testing. I'm getting really high temps compared to my 3900XT. Here's some info:

Ambient temps: 28-32 C (in a heat wave unfortunately)

Idle: 50-60 C

100% Load: ~75-80 C stock Cinebench R20, ~90 C w/ PBO enabled

Gaming (w/ PBO & Curve offset -20 & all power/current limits at stock, makes barely any difference to temps vs regular PBO or even stock):

AC Valhalla (usually ~20% CPU usage) = 70-75 C

Forza Horizon 4 (usually ~20-30% CPU usage) = 73-80 C

NFS Heat (usually ~40-50% CPU usage, Frostbite games always seem very intensive) = 85-88 C

For reference, I have a 360mm AIO, used Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste (applied with one blob in the middle, 4 blobs around), and I have an RTX 3080.

I used my 3900XT yesterday (around the same ambient temps) and my temps were ~10+ C cooler. I don't think it's my thermal paste/cooler application, since my coolant heats up a lot more and my fans spin much faster. Any help would be appreciated!

Those are totally normal temps for a 5900X. Considering how hot it is, I'm surprised they aren't higher.

8 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Those are totally normal temps for a 5900X. Considering how hot it is, I'm surprised they aren't higher.

Wow this chip surely runs hot!

I found this video (@ 16 min) that shows the 5900X usually running cooler than the 3900x, how did they get these results?

It says right in the video that the temperatures were taken in a room with 21C ambient temps. So 7-11C lower than your situation. If you add that to the 71C Steve got, you get average temps comparable to yours: 78-82C

If you look at 4:50, you can see Cinebench temps shown as ~65C. So again, if you account for the temperature difference, it's in line with your stock result.

As for why your 3900XT ran cooler, if I recall correctly, the XT chips have better silicon than the originals. AMD said they were the result of optimizing the 7nm process, and they typically ran with lower voltages than the originals, which means lower power consumption and thus better thermals.

And every chip has some variance. There's a chance that you really won the silicon lottery on your particular 3900XT, and it can run cooler than usual, while maybe you weren't as lucky with your 5900X. Although again, when you look at Steve's numbers, yours are comparable.

My 5900X cooled with a Scythe Fuma 2 runs about 55C over ambient in a productivity workload like Cinebench, so in your heat, that's 83-88C. Your AIO is doing 8C better, which is a solid result in line with what I'd expect for a 360mm.

42 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Ahh this makes sense, yeah I figured the numbers were due to ambient differences but this explains why my 3900XT was cooler. Thanks for the info!