Want to paint my new external Hard Drive

Hello guy !

Just bought a new WD My Passport but i find it awfull in this blue ... I want to paint it in this color or a similar one.
How should i procede ? Should i sand it like a plastic model and then paint or paint directly onto the blue layer ? Does the type of paint I use matter ?

Thanks and have a nice day ^^ !

What problems could painting an external drive cause ? And sanding it ? Im curious x))

The largest problem I see is an external drive is something that tends to get handled a lot. On top of that when transporting them they tend to get bumped around which could chip the paint. Blue showing through the green would not be a good look. 

Other than paint away. Keep over spray and dust out of the connector port. 

Personally I don't worry about the colors of external drives, I have a bunch of them. I buy whatever color is cheapest, in my preferred brand.

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

The largest problem I see is an external drive is something that tends to get handled a lot. On top of that when transporting them they tend to get bumped around which could chip the paint. Blue showing through the green would not be a good look. 

Other than paint away. Keep over spray and dust out of the connector port. 

Personally I don't worry about the colors of external drives, I have a bunch of them. I buy whatever color is cheapest, in my preferred brand.

Of course im gonna protect the ports xD

I know, color shouldnt be a problem but i really think this blue is hideous ...all my stuff is black or silver, with medium aquamarine touches, which makes the drive stick out like some sort of child toy ...

36 minutes ago, GAlbert said:

Hello guy !

Just bought a new WD My Passport but i find it awfull in this blue ... I want to paint it in this color or a similar one.
How should i procede ? Should i sand it like a plastic model and then paint or paint directly onto the blue layer ? Does the type of paint I use matter ?

Thanks and have a nice day ^^ !

I personally wouldnt recommend painting your drives at all don't get me wrong Ive had previous success using Plasti Dip on an old 500gb HDD but if you are going to do yours always remember prep is key!!

Just now, nitroaid said:

I personally wouldnt recommend painting your drives at all don't get me wrong Ive had previous success using Plasti Dip on an old 500gb HDD but if you are going to do yours always remember prep is key!!

What do you mean, prep ? Preparation ?

And what could go wrong with painting a drive ?

Just now, GAlbert said:

What do you mean, prep ? Preparation ?

And what could go wrong with painting a drive ?

Just saying for prep like the usual like masking and making sure the connections are protected otherwise you'll run into problems 

Just now, nitroaid said:

Just saying for prep like the usual like masking and making sure the connections are protected otherwise you'll run into problems 

Oh yeah, thats the basic when painting electronics xD Make sure every exposed port isnt anymore

Just now, GAlbert said:

Oh yeah, thats the basic when painting electronics xD Make sure every exposed port isnt anymore

14 year old me should've been told that 120gb SSD wrecked that was like nearly 5 years ago when you couldnt get one for less than a CPU cooler 😂

1 minute ago, nitroaid said:

14 year old me should've been told that 120gb SSD wrecked that was like nearly 5 years ago when you couldnt get one for less than a CPU cooler 😂

oop xDDDDDD