PC Hardlocks while playing games

FinestBlue
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Pretty simple.

OC ISNT STABLE, not Game stable, let alone Daily stable.

Remove OC,... and play for a few days to a week,l et us know how how it goes then.

Not all games are equal, some use AVX on startup, switching levels, if your OC inc Cache or RAM id also revert those to specs you got from factory ruling them out.

You already knew it was overclocked before the post.

Do you not know how to disable it?

Monitor: 1440p 165hz

CPU: I7 9700k (Overclocked to 4.8 GHz)

GPU: RTX 2080 Founders Edition

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Extreme 4

Memory: 32gb Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

HDD: 2TB WD Black

SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1tb, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G+

Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

I'm not sure what the problem is. Sometimes when I'm playing games my pc will randomly just completely lock up. Everything freezes and I cant move my mouse or do anything. I've waited up to 10 minutes and it wont restart or shut down on its own. I end up having to flick the power switch on the power supply and reboot. This has been happening for a month or so now and I'd say it occurs once every 2 or so days. I can do hardware swaps if needed but I don't really know how to find my issue. If someone could link me to some applications that would help someone figure out my issue that would be awesome. It really sucks disconnecting in the middle of an EFT raid lol.

Pretty simple.

OC ISNT STABLE, not Game stable, let alone Daily stable.

Remove OC,... and play for a few days to a week,l et us know how how it goes then.

Not all games are equal, some use AVX on startup, switching levels, if your OC inc Cache or RAM id also revert those to specs you got from factory ruling them out.

You already knew it was overclocked before the post.

Do you not know how to disable it?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Check Overclock. When troubleshooting always use base numbers and turn off any overclocking done. You can check event logs to see if anything has been picked up depending on the issue it may or may not have logs showing what could be causing it. 

Software for testing. CPU - Prime95, GPU - Furmark, memory - memtest86, HDD - HDtune. 

When running tests run each separate as to single out what is causing the crashing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with a lower overclock. Thanks for the advice this has fixed my problem.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:28 AM, FinestBlue said:

I've been playing with a lower overclock. Thanks for the advice this has fixed my problem.

Thanks for returning with feedback, glad you are back to a working state.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz